Fishing Thoughts

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

Fishing Thoughts

Postby ZoeyFrost » Mon May 20, 2013 3:18 pm

I'll be making a personal Twine game about stuff, and fishing. Right now I am calling it, "Fishing Thoughts." When you cast your line, you catch a random thought that I have had. I suck at fishing so I never catch any fish anyway but plenty of silly (or serious) ideas...
ZoeyFrost

Re: Fishing Thoughts

Postby this » Mon May 20, 2013 3:39 pm

Nice, I like an interesting Twine game.
this

Postby ZoeyFrost » Mon May 20, 2013 10:24 pm

I have about 11 passages done so far, and it appears that the majority of the game will be text, with a few macros so that the next passage you go to is random, but you can't go to a passage you have already been to. Not sure how I am going to do that exactly. Going to work on that next. I'll update when I have that done...
ZoeyFrost

Postby ZoeyFrost » Mon May 20, 2013 11:44 pm

Well, I have finished what I can as far as coding/macros or whatever they're called. It is pretty simple and really easy to add on to as I go. In the meantime, I need to get back to writing text. As far as the "thoughts" go I want them to feel very random. Perhaps even a little bit boring. While fishing games can be super awesome fun yay, actual fishing is one of the most boring activities I have ever done. So, I want to reflect that a little bit. I never catch anything either, so I wouldn't expect to catch anything if I were you haha!

So far the text passages are about sentient fish, general relativity, horrible movies, and how terrible of a writer I think I am. As I just let my thoughts go without any sort of filter or plan. Or at least, as much as my silly brain will allow. I just tested it, and it feels a lot like it should. A lot of non-sequitur segues that do not make any sense. After I have finished writing, I will go back and proofread everything so that I don't sound like an idiot or lunatic (both are probably unavoidable at this point). Then I will add on to all of the macros to include the new passages.

By the time I am done with this, hopefully it give a glimpse of what it is like inside my brain heh...
ZoeyFrost

Postby Outsider » Tue May 21, 2013 3:07 am

Sounds pretty cool! Twine is wonderful. My project also has a bit to do with random introspection. I'm interested in seeing what you'll come up with!
Outsider

Postby ZoeyFrost » Wed May 22, 2013 2:52 am

Well, some of the passages I wrote today got a little bit more personal than I had hoped. But, I had decided on not filtering myself. To just write whatever I felt like writing. So, expect some angsty stuff I guess lol. So far, it is coming along well. I intend to keep writing every day, and clean it up so that it looks pretty...
ZoeyFrost

Postby Inskora » Wed May 22, 2013 1:57 pm

Looking forward to this. Twine is such fun!
Inskora

Postby ZoeyFrost » Sun May 26, 2013 11:54 pm

Omigosh! My week is almost over and it is nowhere near done. I kind of lost the drive to finish the game. So far it is just horrible. I am at a loss as to how to fix it. Occasionally it doesn't even display anything at all. Tomorrow when I post the game I will post the source code with it. Maybe someone can figure it out, and I'll fix it post-jam. In the meantime, I am done with it.
ZoeyFrost

Postby ZoeyFrost » Mon May 27, 2013 1:53 am

Well, it's done I guess. I removed all of the random stuff and meant to save it as a new file so that I would have two different versions. But I was dumb and instinctively hit Ctrl+S and lost all of the code stuff. It didn't work anyway. Here is what I ended up writing; It is very short and I am not happy with it at all: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/983 ... ughts.html
ZoeyFrost

Return to Games