Fish Is Swimming Here (complete)

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

Fish Is Swimming Here (complete)

Postby Inskora » Mon May 20, 2013 8:00 pm

Linky to prevent scrolling: http://www.toddmonotony.com/twine/fish.html

--

I thought I'd use this jam as an opportunity to make my first Twine game! I'm not a coder (yet), so I figured using Twine would mean I could realistically get it done on time and produce something I was quite happy with.

I've attached a screenshot of the Twine web in progress. Yes, it's too small to read. That's the idea, as it's not finished yet. The bare bones of it is there, but the way the ending is implemented is messy and I need to find a more elegant way of doing it. I also need to replace all the placeholder text with flavour text. I will probably add more content too, as I got the base of the game done in a couple of hours and want to make full use of the week's span.

Twuna = Twine plus tuna.

I'm finding Anna Anthropy's guide very helpful.
Attachments
fish.png
fish.png (55.24 KiB) Viewed 4689 times
Last edited by Inskora on Fri May 24, 2013 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Inskora

Re: Twuna (working title)

Postby Inskora » Tue May 21, 2013 12:28 pm

Joy! Twine has a snap to grid function! The messiness was annoying me.

I've learned more about how if and else work, so I've got a nice tidy ending. I need to add flavour text, of course, but that can come later. Now I'm more confident with the mechanic I think I'll add more content.
Inskora

Postby Inskora » Tue May 21, 2013 3:11 pm

I'm learning more about Twine. I've got a random array working correctly. (One of the fish you can catch can talk and will issue a random insult.)
Inskora

Postby Inskora » Tue May 21, 2013 7:07 pm

End of day 2.

I've got the random insult generator working elegantly without hacks (as in I don't need to specify how many insults are in the array; Twine will count them up itself).

I've radically changed how the game determines what fish you get, and simplified it in the process (I threw out three variables and replaced them with one). It's also much more balanced in the likelihood of which of the ten fish you'll get.

10 might sound stingy considering there are 125 possible combinations of player actions, but I'm treating this as an exercise in how to make a Twine game, not in how to write 125 funny descriptions of fish (most of which wouldn't get read because who'd play this 125 times?). Plus it might be a fun exercise for the player trying to work out how their actions influence the outcome.
Inskora

Postby this » Tue May 21, 2013 10:17 pm

cool, i'm looking forward to this!
this

Postby Inskora » Wed May 22, 2013 7:20 pm

End of day 3, and I've hardly done anything. That's fine with me, because I'm well on schedule, and this is a relaxed jam. I spent today mostly using my new Twine knowledge on another project.

I've tweaked the various fish likelihoods a bit more. I'm still not sure I've got it right, and I've currently got two builds (one with the newest system and one with the previous one) to play around with.

Apart from that, I'm mostly done except for the css and flavour text.

Have a node map because why not:
Attachments
fish2.png
fish2.png (92.63 KiB) Viewed 4604 times
Inskora

Postby Inskora » Thu May 23, 2013 6:58 pm

End of day 4. All I need to do now is tidy up some parts of the flavour text, and think of a proper title.

I'll probably post the finished game tomorrow. I'd rather have made full use of the week but I think I've learned all I can from this, and I'm pretty happy with it. I'd rather use my new knowledge and move on to the next thing than string it out and end up over-polishing it.
Inskora

Postby Inskora » Fri May 24, 2013 10:06 am

Fish Is Swimming Here (FISH): http://www.toddmonotony.com/twine/fish.html

There we go. Beware, some sweariness.
Inskora

Re: Fish Is Swimming Here (complete)

Postby TrickFishPie » Fri May 24, 2013 10:26 am

Terrific :) Really made me laugh

ended up with a Rude Octopus haha - look forward to trying the other paths later on.
TrickFishPie

Re: Fish Is Swimming Here (complete)

Postby TiltTheWindmill » Fri May 24, 2013 10:33 am

Loved it - short and sweet!
@lollbirdsey
TiltTheWindmill

Next

Return to Games