Abyssal Fishing

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

Abyssal Fishing

Postby Trideka » Mon May 06, 2013 4:01 pm

People aren't the only things that go fishing..

Hopefully I'll have time for this..
Last edited by Trideka on Fri May 10, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trideka

Re: Fishing In The Deep

Postby LionelJitro » Tue May 07, 2013 3:27 am

Haha, awesome.

I want to play your game already.
LionelJitro

Postby Trideka » Tue May 07, 2013 5:02 pm

Thanks.

I've lost motivation for my current project and just want to work on this. The actual jam is so far away though. ;_;
Trideka

Postby Alamantus » Tue May 07, 2013 8:09 pm

Trideka wrote:Thanks.

I've lost motivation for my current project and just want to work on this. The actual jam is so far away though. ;_;

I've already started collecting resources for mine! Sophie said you could start/prepare/do whatever you want whenever you want! :D
Current Project: Life, Afterlife

Visit our Devlog for progress updates and game development advice
Follow @AlamantusGames on Twitter or AlamantusGameDev on Tumblr for all the latest news
Alamantus

Postby Trideka » Thu May 09, 2013 3:27 pm

Just a quick concept doodle.

I'm still mapping out the gameplay. The game will utilize the darkness of the deep ocean. The anglers lure will only light a small area around you, as you try to navigate a labyrinthine underwater world. Very similar to the level in Earth Worm Jim 2 where Jim is a blind cave fish.

But I also want some stealth mechanics for being able to sneak up on prey. How to combine that with the barely lit world, I'm not certain yet.
Trideka

Postby Trideka » Thu May 09, 2013 3:38 pm

Also did a repaint of the angler fish seen at the top. That was a painting from a couple of years ago.

So anxious to get started!

Trideka

Postby rogueNoodle » Thu May 09, 2013 3:53 pm

Great art and concept. Has a very Finding Nemo quality to it :)
rogueNoodle

Postby Trideka » Fri May 10, 2013 6:13 pm

Thanks!

So I'm spending this week doing research and doing some tool tests as well as a small bit of pre-jam asset creation.

A few things to share with everyone else.

If you're using Unity and want a neato water effect, use a heat distortion shader. This one here is free: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/50132-Heat-Distortion

Instead of rewriting it to be a post-pro effect (I'm shaderlab and cg illiterate), I just did the simple thing and put it on a plane that sits in front of the camera.

It does have some caveats. It only seems to work properly in Deferred rendering mode. Mind you it also requires Unity pro.

If you want some nifty sub surface scattering / translucency tricks (a must for deep sea creatures as I'm making), you can get some expensive ($$ and computationally) shaders on the asset store. But this one here is also free and seems to work pretty well. http://www.farfarer.com/blog/2012/09/11 ... r-unity3d/

If you want to do caustics, simply write a real time ray tracing engine that refracts light through simulated waves on the ocean surface.

No, don't do that. =p Make some neato caustic textures with this tool : http://www.dualheights.se/caustics/ - It only costs if you use it commercially. Free version will do. Then use the texture with a projector component, or use it as a cookie with a light source component.

If I stumble on more cool tricks and tools, I'll share them here.
Trideka

Re: Abyssal Fishing

Postby Trideka » Sat May 18, 2013 5:59 am

Meet Gilda!

Modeled and painted with Blender 2.67.

Follow the link to view her in glorious 3d.
http://abyssalfishing.tumblr.com/post/5 ... meet-gilda

Still need to rig and animate her.
Trideka

Re: Abyssal Fishing

Postby Alexander » Sun May 19, 2013 2:05 am

Gilda is pure gorgeous, you have some awesome CG-modelling skizzles! Looking forward to seeing your game. :>
Alexander

Next

Return to Games