'Ancient Hawaiian' fishing

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

'Ancient Hawaiian' fishing

Postby Vadinci » Tue May 21, 2013 8:16 am

Writing this on my phone atm, sorry for bad formating etc. :)

Hello there jammers!

Upon hearing about the jam I thought it was a cool idea and I decided to join in! :)
My initial game idea is about you beig a fisherman in old hawaiian times. Initially you start out with only a short fishing line, and through selling fish you can get better gear and start reeling in more money (nothing special so far). However, you can also decide to offer your catch to the God of Fishing, granting you special powers to affect the fish with (not sure what those powers will be yet). You can combine your gear and your powers to greatly inprove your catch. I want the game to have a calm ambiance, but not betoo slow paced.

List of things I'd like to have:
-catching fish (duh)
-upgradeable gear
-'psychic' powers
-selling/offering fish
-different fish (different values/behavior)
-time based differences (different fish/behavior based on time of day)
-surfing to shore/rowing to sea minigame (instead of plain screen transitions)

Yesterday I got to make a prototype containing a wavy see and throwing out your fishing line, I'm quite happy with it! I need to make those things dynamic objects now, instead of one big hardcoded gamestate, then add the fish and I should be good to go :D

I'll host a playable version that I plan to update as often as I can, and I'll post any significant updates here as well. I hope you enjoy them, and feedback is always appreciated.

Follow the progress! @ntVadinci
Play the progress! here
Vadinci

Re: 'Ancient Hawaiian' fishing

Postby rogueNoodle » Tue May 21, 2013 10:42 am

Awesome - I really like the casting mechanic :)
rogueNoodle

Postby emmett9001 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:26 pm

Casting is super cool!
emmett9001

Postby @mr_ianthompson » Wed May 22, 2013 1:57 pm

emmett9001 wrote:Casting is super cool!

I agree, if you get the reeling as good as that then you're in for a winner.
Last edited by @mr_ianthompson on Wed May 22, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter - https://twitter.com/mr_ianthompson
@mr_ianthompson

Postby Vadinci » Wed May 22, 2013 2:18 pm

Thanks for the compliments guys :D I was just experimenting with the casting, trying to get some realistic fishing line movement in (which would probably have cost me the whole jam) but when this system came along I thought it was pretty cool, and I'm glad to see that confirmed!

@mr_ianthompson wrote:...
I agree, if you get the reeling as good as that then your in for a winner.

Not really going for 'winning' here, but I just got reeling working so feel free to tell me what you think about it!

New version doesn't have much new going on, because I didn't really have that much time yesterday (school and such take up a lot of time). I spend most of the time I had reworking the structure, going from all calculations in one gameState class to dividing everything over objects, so that everything will be more dynamic and easy to edit for me.

If I can find the time today I hope to re-add the boat (it didn't make it through the restrucuturing yet :( ) and get in some fish.
Vadinci

Return to Games