Super Fish Hunter! [Finished]

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

Super Fish Hunter! [Finished]

Postby Natman » Tue May 21, 2013 10:44 pm

***The game is finished and available for free on Gamejolt. Here's the link:
http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/super- ... ter/14960/

For my entry I will be working in a team of 2 (I will be coding and the other will do the art) to make Super Fish Hunter!, a shmup featuring a vengeful scuba diver on his quest to kill the White Whale. There will probably be only one level, but the game will require upgrades in order to reach the end (Ridiculous Fishing style). I'll do my best to post screenshots/status updates as I go along.

Edit: I'll be coding in C# with XNA, and I intend to publish a post-compo version on XBLIG.
Last edited by Natman on Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Natman

Re: Super Fish Hunter!

Postby Natman » Wed May 22, 2013 9:52 pm

DAY ONE

The main menu is functional but incomplete. Hitting play game causes the player to a appear and difficulty to begin increasing. The fish in the background are actual game entities.
title.png
title.png (41.65 KiB) Viewed 6308 times

At this stage most of the graphics are placeholders. The player is actually a placeholder I brought in from a separate project. :P Still need to make a suitable background, hence the default cornflower blue.
gameplay.png
gameplay.png (33.17 KiB) Viewed 6308 times

Today is Day Two of development. I need to add:
-more enemy types
-money & upgrades
-limited air supply and collectible air bubbles
Natman

Postby Natman » Thu May 23, 2013 2:24 am

DAY TWO

I've added several new features including air bubbles, health packs, player-targeting enemies, and more graphics. Click the link below to download the latest version of the game! Let me know if you find any bugs. You should be able to launch it through setup. If anyone here does XNA and can tell me how to publish it as a .exe I would appreciate it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/emm4oi5zcai473l/IYWvCgF6mH

Edit: Tomorrow I'm going to start working on the upgrade system. Right now it's ridiculously hard to stay alive because of the air meter, so I hope to balance this out by letting the player increase their air capacity.
Natman

Postby Natman » Sat May 25, 2013 4:48 am

DAY THREE/FOUR

So yesterday I was only able to work for an hour or two but I added the following features:
-Coins
-Health & Air tank upgrades
-Purchasable flame thrower (super OP)
-Game data saved in documents/Super Fish Hunter

Wasn't able to work today, and I'm not sure how much I'll be able to in the next couple days. I might end up having to submit a very basic version of the game due to business, but I'll try to add as many cool features as I can.

To do:
-More flexible weapon unlock system. More weapons (these will be easy to add, all I need is textures)
-More upgradeable stats (player speed, possibly player collision damage?)
-The boss. Not quite sure how to handle the ending, yet.
-Scrolling background. This shouldn't be too much work once the graphics are done.
-Sounds. I'll be using bfxr, most likely.
-High score

Remarkably enough, I haven't discovered any bugs in the game so far. Knock on wood.
Natman

Postby Natman » Sun May 26, 2013 2:27 am

DAY FIVE

The boss and ending are fully implemented. As are all upgrades. After beating the boss, the player earns an infinite air tank. So, the final to-do list is looking something like this:

-background
-how to play screen
-weapons
-sound
-music
-scores and high scores

I should be able to get this all done over the next two days.
Natman

Postby Natman » Sun May 26, 2013 5:02 am

Natman

Postby Natman » Mon May 27, 2013 5:44 am

DAY SIX

Finished high scores, sounds, and the tutorial screen. I'm thinking the final compo version won't have any music, but tomorrow I'm definitely going to add the background and a full arsenal of weapons.
Natman

Postby Natman » Tue May 28, 2013 11:48 pm

DAY SEVEN

Wasn't able to do anything yesterday, so I'm finishing today! I ended up scrapping the multiple weapons, but there is still customization for the basic pistol. :P

Download the final game here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/emm4oi5zcai473l/IYWvCgF6mH
Natman

Return to Games