The Sea [FINISHED!]

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

The Sea [FINISHED!]

Postby Alamantus » Mon May 06, 2013 5:23 pm

Fishing Jam Beta Download!
Well, it's certainly not perfect, but that's why I'm calling it a Beta!

Apart from that (significant?) shortcoming, I've turned my 7-day game jam challenge into a 10-day game jam because apparently that's what I can handle. The following download represents what I was able to to complete in my free time over those 10 days. If the menu looks really thrown together and last minute, that's because it totally is. I'm planning to continue developing this game, however, because I really love the idea and I know it can only get better from here.

Be sure to read the "How To Play" section so you know what you're trying to accomplish (and, you know, how to play). You should read the game's premise below because at the moment, this story is not actually in the game. But as I said, I'll be continuing development and it will definitely be in there once I'm happy with it in the future! My improvement plans include: better art and menus, better visual and sound effects, fewer (no?) bugs, more fun(?), significantly more awesomeness, collectibles and stuff (like game art, desktop art, soundtrack, etc.), Kickstarter/Indiegogo(?), If Kickstarted/Indiegogo-ed (Indiegonegone?) an OSX version(?), More cool things, Etc. (we're also open to suggestions)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it in the meanwhile, because I've put some good effort into making it! ...even though it doesn't look as good as I want it to. But hey! I guess this is officially my first (semi-) completed game as a game developer! So yay Alamantus GameDev!

The_Sea_beta.exe (Fishing Jam Beta) download - 10.4MB (MediaFire)
Direct Download (Please use main mirror instead, if possible.)

Game Story:
The Ocean remembers a time when it ruled the world. Its fish swam free and there was nothing there to harm it. It was a paradise. But one day, land arose from the Ocean's depths and the water levels dropped. Creatures emerged on the land and the cruel things began constructing monstrosities to glide over the Ocean's surface and snatch up its innocent population with lures and nets. The Ocean was gracious at first, allowing the disgusting, dry creatures to use Its precious fish so they, too, could have a chance at surviving on this world. But over time, the horrible land-dwellers got more and more greedy, taking even more fish than they can even use or want, simply casting them aside to rot on the filthy land when they did not want the fish any longer.
Now the Ocean's precious population is dwindling. The dry monsters have gone too far, and the Ocean, with nowhere to turn for help, has taken matters into its own hands.

Game Summary:
You are Sea, the manifestation of the Ocean's beauty and power. The Ocean has created you to exact justice upon the land-dwelling demons by stopping their fish genocide. Using the power of waves, whirlpools, storms, and resurrected ghost ships, stop the filthy land-dwellers from leaving the Ocean empty because of their insatiable greed and work toward the Ocean's wonderful goal of eradicating land from its surface once and for all.
(In "Game Instruction" terms, destroy the boats with waves and whirlpools, make them leave with storms and ghost ships. The bigger the boat, the more fish they take. Meanwhile destroy the islands with waves--to win the Story Mode, destroy all the islands and don't let your fish reach 0! In Survival Mode, you can't destroy the islands, so keep destroying and deterring boats for as long as you can!)

Bugs/Quirks:
There are a lot of them, and I know. I didn't have a chance to kill them, but I will squash them all as I continue development:
  • Fish can spawn under islands and get stuck.
  • Best Time scores can easily be miscalculated.
  • When a ghost ship spooks a boat, it plays the SFX repeatedly until the boat is out of range.
  • Many others--Feel free to tell me when you find them, but please try to avoid duplicate alerts.

My Gear: (a.k.a. What I used to make the game)
System: Game Maker Studio
Sound: Audacity, BFXR, Erick Leedberg's music, Wolfram Tones, NatureSoundsFor.me
Art: GIMP, Inkscape, Charas-Project

Original Post:
I want to try a more abstract view of fishing mostly because I've had this idea swimming around in my head for quite some time. Basically, you control/are the sea and it is your responsibility to clean up the oceans of the world as much as you possibly can while at the same time trying to reclaim the planet for the ocean...

It's related to fishing in that you're, like, saving the fish from the fishing industry as the personification of the ocean while at the same time expanding the ocean so the fish have more space to swim on the planet.

So yeah... Should be interesting?
Last edited by Alamantus on Thu May 30, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Current Project: Life, Afterlife

Visit our Devlog for progress updates and game development advice
Follow @AlamantusGames on Twitter or AlamantusGameDev on Tumblr for all the latest news
Alamantus

Re: The Sea

Postby Trideka » Mon May 06, 2013 6:00 pm

Hehe "swimming around".

I like this one! A good message!
Trideka

Postby jspapp » Mon May 06, 2013 11:29 pm

This is a really cool idea, love the abstraction!
jspapp

Postby @jbu3 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:06 am

I'm always on board for seeing a game that takes a more eco-friendly message. Good luck!
@jbu3

Postby Jon Aanes » Tue May 07, 2013 12:16 pm

I like the idea.

How are you going to do it, though?
I am interested.

Good luck.
Jon Aanes

Postby Alamantus » Tue May 07, 2013 8:05 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I hope I'll be able to do my idea justice! At the very least it'll be interesting and as fun as I can make it. :)

Jon Aanes wrote:How are you going to do it, though?
I am interested.

Unfortunately with the tools and experience I have, I'm limited to using a personification of the ocean, so you'll control this personification and do ocean-y things.
Unless I come up with a better idea, it's mostly going to be like a defense game, where you need to follow fishing boats, trash, and other anomalies around the ocean and eliminate them by either creating waves, whirlpools or other things in order to stop their threat. The source of these things on the water is a large collection of islands (and continents?), and in order to truly reclaim the planet for the sea, you need to destroy the land. The more land you destroy, the more water you can control, meaning that you will be bigger and your waves will be even more powerful, allowing you to take out more and more land.

I'm not really sure where else I'll go from there, but I feel like there will need to be more than just that in the game. I'll probably have several oceans that you'll need to defend at the same time, too, but I haven't decided.

Follow @AlamantusGames on Twitter or AlamantusGameDev on Tumblr for all the latest news
Alamantus

Postby Alamantus » Sun May 12, 2013 5:02 am

Testing out some graphics. In this image, I'm testing out trailing water ripples... I'm probably stopping here as far as preparation goes until the jam actually starts, though.
I'm just so excited! :D

Alamantus

Postby LionelJitro » Sun May 12, 2013 10:30 pm

Looking good.

Sweet game idea. Yay for morally responsible messages in games!
LionelJitro

Postby Alamantus » Mon May 20, 2013 12:22 am

Holy smokes, it's so close! It's practically already here! :o

I've been making some art assets for The Sea today in preparation for tomorrow! I just finished making the fishing boats, which you'll spend your time defending your precious fish against, and I've refined Sea (the main character/personification of the ocean)'s sprites. There are 8 different kinds of boats that you'll need to defend against. Mwahahaha :twisted:

I have almost everything worked out in my head. You'll jet around on the ocean trying to protect big areas of fish from the fishing boats. You protect them by either discouraging (with storms and ghost ships) or destroying (with waves and whirlpools) the boats. But the boats are just a symptom of the bigger problem. To truly remove the threat and take back the planet in the name of the ocean, you must destroy the source of the boats: the islands. There are many varying sizes of island, and you must grow larger to destroy larger islands.
You will have a couple of different meters on either side of the screen - one that shows the ocean's water level and one that shows the fish population. You'll also be able to hold a key (shift or ctrl) to open a mini-map that will let you fast travel to areas of the ocean. Using the fast travel creates whirlpools that can also help destroy fishing boats, but since you have a mini-map in your way, aiming can be a little bit difficult.

I'm really looking forward to what I'll be able to make of this game! I'm already thinking it's going to be better than I initially thought it was going to be, so that's good! Yay optimism! :D

Unfortunately, my wife has bronchitis at the moment, so I'm hoping that 1) I'll be able to find time to build the game whilst caring for her and doing my day job, and 2) that I don't catch bronchitis and become unable to finish the jam. Fingers crossed! :)

Alamantus

Postby Alamantus » Wed May 22, 2013 2:48 am

Well, no work done today, but hopefully tomorrow I'll post some screenshots of my work so far.

Still trying to figure out how to make boat A.I. work but not be super genius fish sensors that go directly to the fish...

I also need to add some more art to the game to make it look prettier. I've added some random ocean waves that are a nice touch but may or may not severely lag the game, as they occur a couple times per second... Hopefully I'll be able to remedy that. I'm also hoping that the ocean isn't too big for ordinary computers to handle. Right now I've got a 100,000 x 100,000 px ocean where everything happens and if the waves alone are making my computer lag out, I'm really hoping having 10-20+ boats all fishing at the same time plus movement and other effects isn't too much to handle. :S

Alamantus

Next

Return to Games