The Sea [FINISHED!]

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

Re: The Sea

Postby Alamantus » Thu May 23, 2013 4:56 am

I made a lot of great progress on the game today! I added some boats and A.I. and a map for fast travel! It's pretty awesome and it's really coming together well already! I've still got a long way to go, but there's still a decent amount of time left in the jam. So it looks like I should be able to actually finish the game and put it out by the time the Jam is over!

Here, have some screenshots:

I still need to add the rest of the boats, make them work properly and not have rowboats sail off into the open sea with no hope of returning to land... I also still need to add the HUD and get all that stuff worked out, but that's what I'll be working on all that stuff next. So yeah! Keep checking back for more updates in my exciting Fishing Jam saga.
Current Project: Life, Afterlife

Visit our Devlog for progress updates and game development advice
Follow @AlamantusGames on Twitter or AlamantusGameDev on Tumblr for all the latest news
Alamantus

Postby Alamantus » Fri May 24, 2013 5:51 am

Even more good progress today!

I've created the remaining 3 attacks (whirlpool/teleport, storms, and raising ghost ships), tinkered with/fixed some boat A.I., and made the map function correctly! Hooray! I even added little icons to let you know about your whirlpool and storm cool down times.

Next on my list of things to do is to add the fish meter, finish making the different boat enemies, make fish more common, and add more types and shapes of islands! I also need to work on adding the sea level and making islands destructible. And I just remembered that I said there was going to be trash to get rid of too, but I'm not sure if I'm going to do that after all... We'll see if I still have time left before the end of the Jam. After all that's done, I'll work on building the story, tutorial, and menu!

This Is my very first game jam and this will consequently be my very first released game, and I'm really excited and I'm super proud of it already! :D

See you guys tomorrow!

Follow @AlamantusGames on Twitter or AlamantusGameDev on Tumblr for all the latest news
Alamantus

Postby Alamantus » Sun May 26, 2013 6:33 pm

Wow! Another good day of building! (Oops, posted this late on the forum here.)

Today I: discovered and fixed a game-breaking bug that prevented any higher-powered boats from ever spawning after spawning once, added a level meter and fish monitor to the game screen, made the game screen a little big smaller so more screens can accommodate it, added more shapes of islands, and created a new type of dock that only spawns on bigger islands that only spawns the higher powered ships, including the commercial ships that suck up hundreds of fish at a time!

You’ll need to utilize all of the powers at your disposal as quickly and efficiently as possible to stop the fishing boats from reducing the fish population to 0! There are several large schools of fish swimming about in the ocean that help refill the fish population, and they multiply after a while, but if any large fishing boat catches sight of them, they can make quick work of the poor fish, gradually destroying them completely. With so many islands in the ocean, you’ll need to think and move quickly to combat the threat to the fishes in The Sea!

Here, have some more screenshots!

The next things I need to do are make the islands destructible based on your sea level and add a story/tutorial, game over screen, win screen, and a title and menu screen! Shouldn’t take too terribly long, but I suppose I won’t know until I’m working on them!

I'll be using a bit more time than originally stated and will be (hopefully) releasing the finished game tomorrow (Monday) between 7 and 10pm. If i can't do that, it'll be done Tuesday at the latest! So check back during those times for the download link!

Alamantus

Postby Alamantus » Tue May 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Here is an Alpha release to tide you over while I finish up the game!

The_Sea-INCOMPLETE_ALPHA.exe -- 10.2MB (direct download - please only download once, if possible)

Alamantus

Re: The Sea [FINISHED!]

Postby Alamantus » Thu May 30, 2013 4:13 am

Fishing Jam Beta Download!
Well, I've turned my 7-day game jam challenge into a 10-day game jam because apparently that's what I can handle. The following download represents what I was able to to complete in my free time over those 10 days. If the menu looks really thrown together and last minute, that's because it is. I'm planning to continue developing this game, however, because I really love the idea! It can only get better from here.
Be sure to read the "How To Play" section so you know what you're trying to accomplish. You can read the premise below, but at the moment, this story is not actually in the game. But as I said, I'll be continuing development and it will definitely be in there once I'm happy with the game!
Anyway, I hope you enjoy it in the meanwhile, because I've put some good effort into making it! :D
The Sea (Fishing Jam Beta) download - 10.4MB

Alamantus

Previous

Return to Games