Baits Me!

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

Baits Me!

Postby shootersf » Thu May 23, 2013 12:32 am

My first gamejam. Baits Me! is a fishing game for android made in gideros and will be an arcade style game in that your goal will be to beat the high score. I'm hoping to design a frantic fast paced game with some simple decision making to be made on the fly. Though this would be my first finished game with gideros or lua : :)

edit Link to apk: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15154148/Baits%20Me%20Android%20Game/Baits%20Me.apk
Last edited by shootersf on Wed May 29, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
shootersf

Re: Baits Me!

Postby shootersf » Thu May 23, 2013 2:43 pm

So two days of work whenever I could and Ive got the game's basic mechanic working. The goal of the game is to set a high score by catching fish. You move the hook by touching the screen around it and the first fish that your hook touches, you catch, huzzah! Each fish you catch returns points (for your score) and coins but different coloured fish have different values. Now for the "catch" ;) ; Every time you land a fish you need to buy bait with your coins and unlike the fish who have set values, the price of bait is always increasing so as the game goes on you need to try and avoid the lesser valued fish. Once you can no longer afford bait the game ends.

The graphics in this version are extremely poor. Expect them to be just poor by the time I'm finished :lol:

shootersf

Postby shootersf » Sat May 25, 2013 2:19 am

So Ive got the games mechanics working almost perfectly and hope to add the screens to flesh out the game. Also hoping to take a day to improve the graphics as much as I can, being atrocious at art as I am. But first the controls have to be revamped. Tip for anyone of thinking of using a control system relative to your avatar, it's a bad idea!
shootersf

Postby shootersf » Wed May 29, 2013 11:46 am

And it's finished! As promised the graphics are now just terrible rather than really terrible. The game doesn't scale too well on small handsets (like my Galaxy mini!) It would still need a hell of a lot of polish before I'd normally think of uploading it but then maybe that's the benefit of game jams, to force your deadline.

Android apk:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15154148/Baits%20Me%20Android%20Game/Baits%20Me.apk
shootersf

Return to Games