Tropical Fisherman [Finished!]

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

Tropical Fisherman [Finished!]

Postby Mike » Sat May 25, 2013 10:32 am

Final Version: http://mantiseyelabs.com/games/fishingjam2013/

In "Tropical Fisherman" (working title) you are a diver who lives in a poor village somewhere in the tropics. You need to earn enough to feed your family, however there are no steady jobs on the island. This unfortunately means that you must turn to a life of crime by selling wild tropical fish you take from the coral reef. You can earn a good living from selling them, but you'll have to worry about a variety of potential problems that come with this lifestyle.

This will be a fairly simple 2D game written in Javascript and utilizing canvas. I'm basing it on a simple 2D engine I wrote a little while ago, so it's not going to be very fancy (going for a pixely sort of look anyway, plus I'm a terrible artist). I'm developing it in Chrome but it should also work fine in any modern browser such as the latest versions of Firefox, Safari and possibly Internet Explorer.

Also this is my first game jam, so I am pretty excited! Hopefully I can get seven days to work on this, though they might not be consecutive!

Day 6 playable version here: http://mantiseyelabs.com/games/barber/app/
Last edited by Mike on Fri May 31, 2013 9:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
Mike

Re: Tropical Fisherman

Postby Mike » Sat May 25, 2013 10:42 am

Day 1:

Got the engine up and running, it worked pretty well except the interpolation stuff is kind of buggy, but I don't consider that to be a showstopper. I also managed to add the map as well as a bunch of code for the HUD (which was not previously written).

Here's a screenshot of the title/pause screen:

There are no graphics just yet, so the player character is that blue square. The reef is made up of those tan squares you see. Ideally some day there will be fish interspersed throughout that. The map itself is static, however the entire thing will initially not be explorable. The main system in the game will be the player's energy. As he swims around he will use up his supply of energy (this is non-replenishable). Once his energy runs out the day will be over and he'll sell off all the fish caught and move onto the next day (with a fresh supply of energy). The game will last 30 days, after which you'll either win or lose depending on how much you've earned.

Initially you won't be able to dive past a certain depth or hold your breath for more than, say, 20 seconds. However as you sell fish you'll earn cash which you can use to purchase yourself equipment. Swim fins will help you swim faster while expending less energy, a rebreather would allow you to stay underwater longer, a SCUBA tank even longer and so on.

Screenshot of 'gameplay':

Right now you can swim anywhere and no energy or oxygen is used (and in fact you can swim off the map or into the sky, but that's another issue entirely) but the stuff above is essentially how the game will work. There are some other aspects that I'll get to later (hopefully I don't have to cut them) that will hopefully make the game interesting. However there's still a lot to do, but I'm pretty pleased with the first day of progress!

Thanks for reading!
Mike

Postby Mike » Mon May 27, 2013 2:23 am

Day 2

Forgot to post this last night!

Got many of the systems working such as oxygen and energy. While moving the player expends energy at a constant rate based on the amount he has moved in the last second. He also has an oxygen bar that depletes when he's underwater, and when that runs out his energy depletion rate increases even more. Once you run out of energy the game goes to the next day and the player is reset.

This will hopefully become more exciting when I start adding graphics, by the way. I know squares aren't the most compelling thing in the world.

Anyways, that sorts out a lot of the player systems since now I only need to increase/decrease the rate of depletion for energy and oxygen depending on powerups the player has purchases. Currently working on getting sprites displayed so the screenshots look less boring, though don't expect anything better than some slightly suspect 16x16 pixel art.

More to come!
Mike

Postby Mike » Mon May 27, 2013 10:24 am

Day 3

Today was mainly about getting graphics in there. However I also got some other things done. Here's a screenshot of what it looks like currently:

The fish doesn't do anything, but he can be collected and he goes into your inventory. The player also animates (three frames!), though he can only face in that direction right now, so there's still some work to be done.

I also spent some time on boring stuff like making the collision less crappy (still has some minor issues) and getting the game a proper paused state.

One goal for tomorrow is to get the sell screen (which displays the fish you caught and how much you sold them for) working and then start implementing the store screen. That would make each individual day in the game complete, with only stuff like adding new fish and getting powerups working to go.
Mike

Postby Mike » Tue May 28, 2013 8:10 am

Day 4

Lots of progress today! Hooray! A lot of the main systems of the game are in place now, meaning you can swim around, catch fish and get paid for them. Energy gets used up as you move around (or when you're underwater too long, or too deep etc) and the day correctly ends when that happens. Then your fish are tallied up and the amount of money you earned from them is displayed. You continue onto the next screen which is currently a placeholder for the store, and then go right into the next day. That's the main cycle you will go through in the game, and it's working great so I'm pretty happy with that.

Fish are also much more exciting! They swim around, though they are incredibly stupid, but it's nice to see them move around instead of just sitting there. I also have them randomly spawn in the map for each day, which keeps things somewhat interesting. Oh, and I added a second fish!

I also got to implement my favorite thing about the fish, which is their population and market value. Each fish species will have a finite population that you deplete by catching them. The fish replenish themselves every day at a certain rate as well, but for some of the more rare species that could be highly outpaced by your collecting in a few days. The price of fish is also dictated by how many there are in the wild, with more rare fish being more sought after and thus more expensive. So depleting the population also has some advantages. I will probably need to tweak all those settings a bunch, but I'm happy that I was able to implement them in only a day.

Finally, I am drawing things more efficiently. Previously draw operations were run on every single section of the map, but now it will only attempt to draw things that are actually on the canvas (aka, in the viewport). I also am now loading the images/sprites onto a canvas and then drawing that to the main canvas rather than keeping it as an image. There's also some flipping going on there so everything doesn't always face to the right now. Exciting stuff!

Here's two more screenshots because I don't have much else to say!

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed May 29, 2013 9:49 am

Day 5

Without the benefit of a day off from work I got a lot less done today. However it's after 2:30am so I still got some stuff done! Tonight was mainly some design/graphic work, though I did program some things.

Firstly I made some new fish! I actually made quite a few, but I'm only showing you two of them because: a) I don't want to spoil anything but mostly b) I can't dive down that deep yet!

However good news is that I have the very first iteration of the store running. This was sort of a pain because my HUD class was just something that displayed text/images and didn't actually have any sort of notion of user input. So I had to slap that in there. On the plus side I finally got two equipment purchases working, so you can now buy swim fins to increase your speed and a surfer shirt to increase the maximum depth you can swim to without an extra energy penalty. There are still a few kinks to work out with all this, but it's the final stage to making the game completeable! Here's a very rough in-progress screenshot:

So this is kinda the home stretch. For tomorrow I'd like to wrap up the store as well as hopefully get some simple sounds in there. There's still plenty to do, of course. Music is a question mark, but I also need to do some baseline story implementation or at the very least get an endgame in there. So far I am pretty happy with how well this has come along and how few issues I have run into. The game has a fairly simple scope, which helped out a lot there, plus I discovered I'm not too bad at drawing pixely fish, which is a good skill to have probably.

If I can get the store finalized tomorrow I will post a link to the playable version! Exciting! Thanks for reading, as always.
Mike

Postby Mike » Thu May 30, 2013 9:04 am

Day 6

As promised here is the playable version: http://mantiseyelabs.com/games/barber/app/

Play it in a modern browser like Chrome or the latest version of Firefox. ('Barber' is just the code name, by the way, something I give to all my game projects).

You can move around with WASD or the arrow keys. ESC will pause the game. After the day ends press ESC to exit each screen. On the store screen you navigate the menu with W/S or arrow up/down and purchase something with SPACE.

Some bugs/issues:

* The game is pretty much infinite right now since there's no end condition. So if you want to play forever you can, though I can't imagine it will be very exciting after a while.
* No way to control the volume, sorry. I don't think the sounds are too loud, but I figured I'd mention this just in case.
* There isn't any indication what any of the store items do, which is just something I didn't get to do. Essentially the wet suits let you dive deeper, the tanks let you dive even deeper and deplete your oxygen slower, and the fins let you go faster.
* There are two fish that are twice as long as other fish and they sometimes spawn stuck in a wall (their image display on the market page also looks weird).
* Fish are dumb and will just keep swimming into a wall rather than turning around. Easy-ish fix that I just haven't gotten to yet.
* I think the fish populations replenish too quickly so I doubt you'll ever see a species disappear.
* Probably needs lots of balance tweaks etc.
* I'm tired so I probably forgot something.

Anyway, have fun and let me know what you think! I'll be doing cleanup work tomorrow, so let me know what needs fixing/changing if you play it.
Mike

Re: Tropical Fisherman [Now Playable!]

Postby timtipgames » Thu May 30, 2013 7:42 pm

Hey there,

really like this game. Would be awesome if the stuff you buy would be visible on the diver.
Also some kind of indicator of the fishs value would be nice. I'd imagine something like dollar signs spawning from their position when you collect them or similar.
Some more variation would of course be nice, but it's also pretty playable as it is.
timtipgames

Postby Mike » Thu May 30, 2013 10:00 pm

Thanks for playing! And thanks a bunch for your feedback.

I actually have visual representations of gear designed, just not implemented (hopefully I can do it tonight). I guess that is one of the things I forgot to mention due to being so tired!

I also really like your idea for having values spawn when you collect a fish, I will try to add that in as well, time permitting!

I also had some ideas that were cut due to time limits (but I might add in later anyway):
1) randomize the level (supposed to be a guy fishing in the same spot every day, but I don't know how much sticking to that premise is worth)
2) more fish (for sure) and gear (maybe)
3) sharks and other fish that can't be caught but can injure you (deplete your energy)
4) you can be caught fishing by the police and they will fine you (not a very fleshed out idea though)
Mike

Postby Mike » Fri May 31, 2013 9:53 am

Day 7

Sadly I didn't get a lot of things that I wanted into it, but I did manage to get in equipment descriptions (when you view them at the store) and equipment now changes the appearance of the player. I also messed around with some other random things, though nothing as major as those two.

Final (for this game jam) version is here: http://mantiseyelabs.com/games/fishingjam2013/

Note that there still isn't a win condition. I realized that I forgot that after time was up!

I'll probably work on this a little more, since it's been a good learning experience. There's still lots of stuff to do, but I think it's all completable. Still, for seven days of work I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
Mike

Next

Return to Games