Jiggin'

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

Re: Fishers gonna fish...

Postby rogueNoodle » Mon May 20, 2013 10:46 pm

@AndrewJamesAdams - Not at all! Glad you like him :)

So here's a bit of a playable - pretty happy with the progress so far, although just a bit overwhelmed by what's left to do :P

Up and down arrows move the hook up and down. Pressing the space bar when the hook is near a fishes mouth will "jig" the hook (no animation yet), and hopefully, catch a fish. You can get multiple fish on the hook at one time - reel the line all the way back up to successfully "catch" the fish. No score or anything yet, just the basic controls...

http://roguenoodle.com/jiggin/build-02/Web.html
rogueNoodle

Postby rogueNoodle » Wed May 22, 2013 11:12 pm

Only a small update today, unfortunately - day job eating up too much time :P

Started on the scoring system, and have a clock in there as well that doesn't actually do much yet...

Also wrote a bad banjo tune (as opposed to a good banjo tune?) that may or may not act as the base for the final music. Right now, it's really just a couple of parts that loop pretty poorly :|

Still to come:
Powerups
Line-breaking mechanic
title screen
game over screen
sound fx (lots of them)
polish (lots of it)

And a playable build: http://roguenoodle.com/jiggin/build-03/Web.html
Up and down arrows move the hook, and space bar will jig any fish currently colliding with the hook (the collision check is only near the fish's mouth)...
rogueNoodle

Postby Jerombd » Thu May 23, 2013 12:12 am

Awesome!
Maybe add some foes to spice up the gameplay, like a sawfish cutting the line, but you can knock him out with the hook, etc.
Jerombd

Postby rogueNoodle » Thu May 23, 2013 1:24 am

Sawfish is a great idea. I actually had a similar idea for a shark that would try to eat the fish off of the hook, making it so you had to dodge him. But I really like the idea of cutting through the line. Depending on the time left when I implement my current to do list, I'll definitely be looking at something like this. Thanks for the feedback :)
rogueNoodle

Postby rogueNoodle » Tue May 28, 2013 4:49 pm

Soooo... obviously didn't make it in 7 days. Unity's been sort of kicking my ass the last couple of days, but I feel like I'm getting back on track. I do plan on having it completely done by Friday, so here's hoping...

No new build ready, but here's a boring WIP screenshot from Blender of the shark I will be adding in...

Also just want to say that everyone has done a really incredible job, and I really enjoyed watching everyone's progress :)
rogueNoodle

Postby AnomalousUnderdog » Tue May 28, 2013 9:44 pm

Honestly not a lot of fun for me, but obviously we've yet to see the final product.

But damn, those are some really really nice graphics and polish for 7 days.

You working on this alone? Impressive work, man!
AnomalousUnderdog

Postby rogueNoodle » Wed May 29, 2013 10:48 am

Ha, yeah - it's not a lot of fun for me either ;) I've got a couple of things I'm going to try in the next day or two, but if it doesn't improve by the weekend, I'm moving on. Lesson learned - make it fun with boxes before making any art :P

Whatever the outcome, I'm happy with what I've learned - unfortunately things like how to organize my scripts in Unity didn't start to click until I had a huge mess of code already, so trying to jam new gameplay ideas in there is sort of rough. My next game will go smoother (I hope!).

Thanks for the feedback!
rogueNoodle

Postby @mr_ianthompson » Thu May 30, 2013 11:46 am

Keep it up buddy! I love this and what to see it finished!
Follow me on Twitter - https://twitter.com/mr_ianthompson
@mr_ianthompson

Re: Jiggin'

Postby rogueNoodle » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:27 pm

@mr_ianthompson - Thanks for the encouragement. Decided I would see it through to the end afterall:

Finally finished, and while it's not perfect (or even very good ), I'm just happy to see it through to the end:

Jiggin' (Unity Webplayer)

For some reason, there's some weird bugs in the Mac version that I wasn't able to figure out...

Looking forward to checking out some of the submissions (finally!)
rogueNoodle

Previous

Return to Games