Jiggin'

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

Jiggin'

Postby rogueNoodle » Tue May 07, 2013 7:05 pm

/Update

Finally finished, and while it's not perfect (or even very good :P), I'm just happy to see it through to the end:

Jiggin' (Unity Webplayer)

For some reason, there's some weird bugs in the Mac version that I wasn't able to figure out...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great idea for a jam - really looking forward to it. Wish it wasn't so far away though - I want to start now ;)
Last edited by rogueNoodle on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rogueNoodle

Re: Fishers gonna fish...

Postby Jon Aanes » Wed May 08, 2013 6:16 am

I actually have the same problem, as I have a lot of free time currently.
But you do not need to do it 20-27. You can start now if you want.
Jon Aanes

Postby rogueNoodle » Thu May 09, 2013 10:59 am

So I've got a game idea in mind - similar to Ridiculous Fishing in terms of, uh, ridiculousness, but with different mechanics. Hoping I can pull it off and that it's actually as fun as it is in my head. I'll be using Construct 2, Adobe Illustrator and probably a combination of Bfxr and FL Studio for sound and music.

I decided yesterday that I would at least allow myself to work on the visual style a bit and came up with the initial protagonist concept over lunch:

Did I mention I can't wait to start? Yes I did...
rogueNoodle

Postby iisjreg » Thu May 09, 2013 2:39 pm

I.

Like.

That.

A lot.

:D
iisjreg

Postby rogueNoodle » Sun May 19, 2013 11:57 am

@ iisjreg - thanks!

So I decided yesterday afternoon that I'd get a bit of early jump on the jam, since I may not get that much time this week to work on it. I also decided to finally give Unity a shot - was originally going with Construct 2, but the pro license trial for Unity changed my mind :)
Sketched out these fish concepts yesterday morning:

And then started on the models this morning:

Going to keep the gameplay pretty simple - a single-screen arcade-y type high score thing. I've got a pretty good idea of how it's going to play out - just hoping now I can figure out the scripting side of Unity in time to actually make it happen :P
rogueNoodle

Postby LionelJitro » Sun May 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Loving the character concept and the crab. Really nice style you've got going.

Good luck learning Unity!
LionelJitro

Postby AndrewJamesAdams » Mon May 20, 2013 2:51 pm

Good luck with Unity and your game. I'm loving your art style. Very cool.
AndrewJamesAdams

Postby rogueNoodle » Mon May 20, 2013 2:56 pm

@LionelJitro - Thanks - Unity hasn't been too bad so far, although to be fair, the gameplay is really in just two dimensions which simplifies things a lot.

It's great to see so many people joining in on this, and a lot of fun to see everyone's progress. I've been tweeting my progress a bit, but figured I should throw some updates here as well.

These are just clips from my iPhone - I'll hopefully post up some real screen captures once I get a bit further along

Crab animation

The crab won't actually play a huge part in the game, just occasionally running by with some sort of powerup or point bonus. And in the final version, he'll be smiling :)

Fishes!

The fish will actually be swimming in both directions in the final version, but this shows what the main game will sort of look like. I'll be keeping the gameplay itself pretty simple - raising and lowering a hook to jig fish as they swim by. Catching multiple fish before reeling in will build up a combo, but you run the risk of breaking the line, so a bit of a risk/reward mechanic there. There'll be some powerups to increase the hook size and line strength, and maybe more if time allows. I'm definitely not trying to blow minds with the game design, but I'm hoping it turns into a fun distraction in the end :)
rogueNoodle

Postby rogueNoodle » Mon May 20, 2013 2:57 pm

@AndrewJamesAdams - Thanks!
rogueNoodle

Postby AndrewJamesAdams » Mon May 20, 2013 7:36 pm

I hope you don't mind but that fishing guy up there is now my wallpaper. Super cool and nice concept. Simple but fun!
AndrewJamesAdams

Next

Return to Games