Break-off

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

Break-off

Postby SnoringFrog » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:41 am

Break-off

"Break-off - A fish lost when the line breaks, as opposed to losing fish when the hook breaks, straightens or pulls out."

Took me longer to get to this than I expected, but I still only worked on it for 7 days; I just decided to spread them out a bit. It's not as polished as I would have liked, but as I neared the end I was just glad to be done with it. This was my first time really working with Java, and I discovered fairly early on that I'm not a fan of Java. Regardless, I'm pleased with what I ended up with. Definitely more fun than the last game I put together.

Gameplay:
You control the shark, you primary goal is to cause "break-offs" in fisherman's lines by cutting lines that have fish on them. In the meantime, you have to keep yourself fed and avoid getting hit by hooks yourself. You get 2 minutes or until you go 5 seconds without feeding.

Controls:
move with wasd or arrows, space bar pauses

Scoring Details:
Eating a fish: 1pt, fully restores health (which lasts 5s)
Causing a break-off: +1 to combo; 3pt * combo; +10% health
Getting hit by a hook: -5pts, -1 combo, briefly stunned
Letting a fish get reeled in off the top of the screen resets your counter

Misc:
The game's occasionally a bit buggy. Sometimes all collisions will suddenly stop working. If that happens, just restart it. I never could nail down that bug, sorry.

There's a not-very-well-hidden Easter egg concerning the "true victory" in the game. Enjoy that, I guess.

If you have any comments, suggestions, or bug reports (or anything else, really), just mention it here or hit me up on Twitter (@SnoringFrog). I'll check both, but I'll be quicker to reply on Twitter; I kinda live there.

Download (.jar file + assets in a .zip; should be cross-platform)

Oh yeah, there's also a fun "bug" that I won't fix in this build just because it's entertaining. To see it, just leave the game paused for a bit (10-20 seconds is plenty of time). Hook and fish generation will continue in the background, and as soon as you unpause they'll all swarm into the screen.

Here's an old image from before I added in the score/health and all that:
SnoringFrog

Re: Break-off

Postby Bruce Hammerson » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:47 am

What is the name of this game please and can I download it in my computer from somewhere?
Last edited by Bruce Hammerson on Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Hammerson

Postby Bruce Hammerson » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 am

This game seems very addictive. I used to play games like these before my joining in a construction company. Since I'm very busy in doing physical work I never get time to play my favorite video games. I wish one day I could be a child again.

Hydraulic Hammers
Bruce Hammerson

Postby Perez Turner » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:47 am

It looks interesting and attractive to play "Break-off". I enjoyed to play well explained features and useful guidelines. I have download the attachment and will spend some time to check its detailed features.

Our Solutions
Perez Turner

Return to Games