Brainworm Jim and the incredible Zombie-Fish

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

Brainworm Jim and the incredible Zombie-Fish

Postby timtipgames » Wed May 08, 2013 12:52 pm

Prepare for some brain lures!
Most current build (Java Applet)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/305 ... index.html

Could also be Fish vs. Zombies or Spring Break Zombie-Fish Party or an adventure about the endless rival of Brainworm Jim and the incredible Zombie-Fish.
Not yet set in stone but probably will have zombie-fish or zombie-fishermen and a brainworm :) I'll brainstorm some more until the Jam begins.

Looking forward to the Jam and seeing all your games. Wish it had already started. But it's nearly two weeks so I should find some other jam to do until then :)
Last edited by timtipgames on Sat May 25, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
timtipgames

Re: Brainworm Jim and the incredible Zombie-Fish

Postby timtipgames » Wed May 22, 2013 5:51 pm

Alright, as I'll have most of the time on the coming weekend, I'll actually do one game for both the fishing jam and http://1gamcrunch.playvue.com/.
I'll also accept the 1gamcrunch challenge to do a game without regular input devices like keyboard, mouse or touchscreen. I will concentrate on audio/speech input and I think I have a fun idea:

Setting
The main character - Brainworm Jim - is sitting on a hook at the end of your fishing line. The camera is zoomed in on him, he's floating just above the ground and part of the water around him is visible. Fish appear and disappear but barely take any notice of him. Brainworm Jim is actually a quite feisty worm and is eager to help you to get some delicious zombie fish.

What the player wants
But you're right outside the monitor and can't take any action, so the only way to lure some fish to eat Jim is to actually make Jim a more attractive thing to eat. And how do you attract zombies? By making noise (and of course showing them your tasty brain).

The Mechanic
So you tell Jim what he should say to the fish to make them eat him - and thus making you catch a fish.
There will be fish that is attracted by loud noise and other fish that needs to be lured with a gently whisper. Some like high tones, some like low tones and some will only bite if you are really quiet.
Jim will say exactly what you told him to (because the game did an audio record of it) but the game will play what you said with a funny voice (read: Jims voice).

That will probably be the base mechanic and depending on my progress/time I have some more ideas to improve on that.

The hard stuff
I'm by far not an expert in audio programming but I think I'll get some things done. High/Low tone detection should be easy with a simple FFT analysis and the voice manipulation could simply be a pitch variation. I'd love to do some more fancy stuff though but I'll have to see how good that will work.

Changes
Some of this will change.
First of all there's a theme for the 1gam crunch that I'll only know on Friday so I'll see if I can incorporate it into the concept.
Second, I don't know if I can actually do enough audio magic to make the game I imagine. But I guess I'll just try hard and see where I end up with it :)
Third, the whole zombie brainworm stuff is kind of unnecessary for the game but I cant part with it yet and already have so many pictures on my mind :) Hopefully Brainworm Jim wouldn't become a legal problem because of his former identity known as a different kind of worm that was also called Jim :)

This is basically a reminder and plan for me to aim for during the weekend but I'd love to hear what you think about it. I am reading many of the other posts already, so I am really looking forward to the weekend and wish you all a lot of fun creating awesome fishing games :)
timtipgames

Postby timtipgames » Sat May 25, 2013 10:51 pm

It starts moving, here's the link to my dropbox with the current applet:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/305 ... index.html
There's no controls yet, so dont smash your keyboard :)
If everything goes as planned, the game will be playable without a keyboard at all :)
timtipgames

Postby AnomalousUnderdog » Mon May 27, 2013 9:31 pm

Actually I thought it was a reference to "Pinky and the Brain"
AnomalousUnderdog

Postby timtipgames » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:51 am

I didn't finish a different game for the jam, because I found a musician and a sound engineer that wanna work with me on this game on a slightly larger scale and time frame.
Instead I made this:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=186
timtipgames

Return to Games