[FINISHED] NetHook - A Fishing Roguelike

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

[FINISHED] NetHook - A Fishing Roguelike

Postby mtrc » Thu May 09, 2013 12:03 pm

NetHook: A Fishing Roguelike is now complete (for the Jam, anyhow). I broke some rules and probably worked for a bit more than 7 days added up, so I don't really count as a jam entry, but I'm happy with how the game is. It's quite hard and not the most fun thing in the world, but it's complete - it has a shop, resources to collect, things to kill (and be killed by) and a super secret ending challenge that I don't think anyone will figure out or manage to do. But I'm still happy! Go and play, enjoy the sounds/art/music all by more talented people than me, and thanks for all the support:

Download NetHook

For more games by me, you can click here or find me on Twitter @mtrc.

====
Main Post:
====

NetHook is a roguelike where you cast your enchanted fishing hook into the Ceaseless Tides and explore the shipwrecks, caves and reefs below, searching for treasure. Things I want to add (but will probably have to cut):

• Leave a trail of fishing line wherever you go - but be careful not to get tangled!
  • Discover new lures, hooks and lines to catch better and dive deeper!
  • Hook and catch fearsome monsters and rare fish!
  • Puns!

===
Original Post:
===
No idea if I'll have time to make this, but: could you do a fishing roguelike?

Guide a hook through a dangerous undersea lair. Defeat prey! Avoid crossing your fishing line! Enchant your hook! Discover valuable lures!

Will have to see if time permits though. I hope it does!
Last edited by mtrc on Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mtrc

Re: NetHook - A Fishing Roguelike

Postby mtrc » Sat May 18, 2013 12:41 am

Updated! We're going to get going soon. I'll be making this in LibGDX with Flixel-GDX and Oryx's beautiful Roguelike tileset.
mtrc

Postby Jon Aanes » Sun May 19, 2013 9:36 pm

I am actually looking forwards for this, sounds pretty cool.
I am guessing that you cant walk into the same square twice (At least not without some special conditions), to avoid tangling the line?
Jon Aanes

Postby mtrc » Sun May 19, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks Jon!

I'm experimenting with that exact mechanic right now. The plan is for tiles with your line in to be impassable to monsters and yourself (so you can pen off creatures) but if you get stuck you can reel your line back one tile at a time.

The catch is that you can capture enemies in special situations, which add to your overall score (maybe - I'm fuzzy on this so far). But if you reel back past the square where you caught them, they disappear forever! So you have to be careful during combat not to cut yourself off so you can capture the enemies and escape.

Here's a screen from development (I started 12 hours early!):

Not made a proper roguelike before, so this is tense... I'll put a build up as soon as I can for feedback :)
mtrc

Postby mtrc » Wed May 22, 2013 12:03 am

I'm going to have to spread my jam days out, I think. Not really in line with ordinary Jam rules but I'd rather finish the game than toss something away. I had no time to work yesterday or today, so this might be a '7 weekend-days jam' for me!

Anyway, here's an update on the game itself as of the end of the weekend, and what I have planned. I knocked together a quick cellular automata world generator, which I then tweaked after talking to Darren Grey (thanks Darren!) who gave suggestions about balancing the removal of walls, etc. I really like how it looks now:

I've also got some simple hitting-things-in-the-face code in, and chests which you can open to get items out of:

However, I'm overcomplicating my design. One thing Darren also suggested was to avoid worrying about complex combat systems and just use a one-HP system. So the new plan is to have a single, monolithic level that is many hundreds of tiles deep. But you have a limited line initially and can only go so far. Spend money on collected loot to gain longer lines, etc. etc. Hopefully the line restrictions will also make the combat interesting (as it's all about positioning since you only have 1 HP).

We shall have to see. I'm actually behind with real-life work too so not sure when I'll be working on it next!
mtrc

Postby Jerombd » Wed May 22, 2013 11:12 pm

Very promising! I'm wondering what kind of enemies you will add...
Jerombd

Postby mtrc » Sat May 25, 2013 2:46 pm

I'm hoping to have fairly normal fishy creatures up top, but for fishers who manage to angle their way to deeper levels there may be more surprising things in store!

Time permitting...

We're on Day 3 of #fishingjam for me today. I've tweaked the level generation so it produces long levels that are accessible and have no dead areas in them. Now to populate them with interesting stuff! I'm sick of the same debug crab spawning next to me every time. :P
mtrc

Postby mtrc » Sat May 25, 2013 3:16 pm

The level gen is redone and you now have a limit on your fishing reel. The new UI tags already make me feel like I made the right decision in hacking down the scale of the game. Catch fish, grab loot, get a longer line and fish deeper!

Onwards!
mtrc

Postby mtrc » Sat May 25, 2013 3:53 pm

Can I get another sneaky screenshot in? Adding an infobar and mouse support finally. Not sure if I want people to be able to move diagonally though - I might need playtesters for that. Speaking of which, a playable build of the (currently very boring) game should be in the thread by the end of today.

mtrc

Postby Outsider » Sat May 25, 2013 9:48 pm

Looks like it's coming along great! I'm definitely giving this a shot :)
Outsider

Next

Return to Games