[FINISHED] NetHook - A Fishing Roguelike

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

Re: NetHook - A Fishing Roguelike

Postby mtrc » Sat May 25, 2013 10:33 pm

Thanks to David McClure for helping test, here is a runnable version of what I've coded so far:

www.cutgar.net/alphas/nethook.zip

There's not much in it right now, but just so people can see there is something alive! :)
mtrc

Postby mtrc » Sun May 26, 2013 1:55 am

Here's a little preview of the world gen as it stands. The idea is that as you buy longer lines and sturdier hooks you can venture downwards past the shallows, into dangerous waters!

http://imgur.com/a/0W3b5

I imagine the game won't be balanced. But that can wait I guess!
mtrc

Postby mtrc » Wed May 29, 2013 11:48 am

I began implementing a tutorial for the game:

I'd never done one before and I wanted to give it a go, but it's just taking too long, so I've shelved it for a post-jam feature. I have, however, added death:

Which is already making it feel like more of an actual game. It's quite fun to dodge and weave past eels and crabs (since you can die in one shot) or to take your time and study the patterns of movement in order to catch them. Some creatures are aggressive and will chase you down if you get too close. Others are passive unless you try to attack them. Getting yourself into a position where you can pounce on them (without them taking a turn first) can be quite puzzling!

I don't have many development days left so I'm going to try and make the most of this one. First, some real-life work though!
mtrc

Postby SuperMoof » Wed May 29, 2013 4:42 pm

This is looking awesome!
@supermoof
SuperMoof

Postby mtrc » Fri May 31, 2013 12:25 am

Thanks a lot :)

I worked a little this evening to add the shop properly with items, a UI, a purchasing system and so on. I'm really running out of time now though. I think I'll set aside one more day to work fully on it, release what I have, and then everyhting else is post jam.

The game isn't quite there yet so the jam version won't be very playable. I didn't manage the time at all well unfortunately! But I'll keep updating the thread as the game has more added to it after the jam is over.
mtrc

Postby mtrc » Fri May 31, 2013 2:25 am

A new build is available too, with a readme:

http://www.cutgar.net/alphas/nethook-a2.zip

:)
mtrc

Re: [New Alpha Build!] NetHook - A Fishing Roguelike

Postby mtrc » Fri May 31, 2013 4:43 pm

Maps are in!

Today will be the last day for the Jam version, so expect a build tomorrow that you can play! I'm finding it fun to try and get as deep as possible - it's quite hard because once you get past the shallows the fish become aggressive and some actively attempt to hunt you down. Dealing with one is trivial, but it becomes very hard to single them out. You only have one hit-point so positioning is crucial!
mtrc

Postby mtrc » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:22 pm

NetHook now has a beginning:

And an end:

Should be able to build it tonight. Hoping to get a manual/written tutorial too because it's a little confusing as-is.
mtrc

Postby mtrc » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:01 pm

Longer post later, but:

NetHook - Jam Edition - Download Here

The jam version is finally done. I broke the rules, pretty sure, by spending too long on it. But it was good fun and I'm very happy with how it is so far. I want to work on it more, but whether I will.... well, it's hard to once you've hit a milestone. Too tempting to move onto other things!

More later.
mtrc

Previous

Return to Games