Tartarus

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

Re: Tartarus

Postby nesis » Thu May 16, 2013 8:27 am

Thanks for breaking down my problem Trideka... I was struggling a bit on that decision. I'm going for using the fisheye post effect, since it's prettier and, hey, Unity Pro trial (thanks Sophie + Unity! :D). To maintain disorientation to an extent, I've ramped up the fishlensing so it's acting on a 120 degree field of view.

I'm glad you like what's up so far, Lionel :D

I'm having a lot of trouble stopping myself from fiddling with this. There might just happen to be another update to the demo up.

Added:
- water surface; swim above it and you jump out of the water and flop back in
- reset key in case of getting lost / stuck (hit R)
- shadows, and an invisible fish model for the first person fish to cast a shadow (I got the model online for quick testing, and I'll make my own later)
- dynamic changing of environmental settings depending on current depth / being out of water (fog colour, ambient light, shadow intensity, sunlight intensity, camera background colour)... so when you jump out of the water, it goes from murky blue to dazzling white + cyan + yellow :D
- particles suspended in water only appear below a certain height

By the way, if anyone's wanting to cast a shadow from something but not have it visible to the camera, you can use the shader code found here: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/26 ... adows.html
nesis

Postby this » Thu May 16, 2013 1:14 pm

It's great! :)
I can't see the water surface though.. it's weird because I can see objects that are above the water, but they appear submerged from below. When I jump out, I can see them clearly, basking in yellow light. The lights and the colors are great, and I like the ocean floor, too. But the surface really should be visible.

By the way, I don't think you need to worry about "stopping yourself from fiddling with this", as I interpret the rules of this jam, there aren't really any rules, the timeframe is not a strict one.
this

Postby nesis » Thu May 16, 2013 4:36 pm

Ah, yeah, good point... I tried having two individual water surfaces (one above, one below) but the script didn't work well with that. So I'm now just using the same surface, and flipping it when you're above / below, so you always see the ripples no matter what side you're on.

It's actually kinda fun just jumping out of the water over and over, then sliding ridiculously along surfaces while "beached", since I've not applied any methods of slowing you down when not in the water XD

Next thing I might do is make it possible to be beached, and flip yourself back towards the water... Actually, screw it, I'll do it now :D
nesis

Postby nesis » Mon May 20, 2013 2:21 pm

The next version is up, let me know what you guys think :D

Latest online version
http://llnesisll.blogspot.com.au/p/unit ... s-var.html

Controls
Move mouse left + right to flick your fishy tail and swim (or if you're beached, flop forwards).
Move the mouse faster to move faster.
WASD to control turning.
To turn in tight circles, move the mouse gently and use WASD.
R to reset if you get stuck.

Info
You are the fish, being fished. You are trying to survive in a deep ocean, where vision is limited and food is scarce, hardly distinguishable from bat, and often attracting bigger fish. Every time you eat, you'll be risking your life. What dangers lurk unseen, unknown in the darkness, laying in wait?
nesis

Postby btxsqdr » Mon May 20, 2013 3:03 pm

nice movement controls
btxsqdr

Postby this » Mon May 20, 2013 3:37 pm

I absolutely love this!
the big whale scared me :o and then i beached myself.
now i can see the surface perfectly. The sound effects are nice.
this

Postby nesis » Tue May 21, 2013 4:57 pm

New version is up! Let me know what you think :)

You can play it here
http://llnesisll.blogspot.com.au/p/unit ... s-var.html

Stuff added
- schools of fish that dynamically swim around and assemble in a boid-like fashion... This might be my sleep-deprived brain talking, but it's kinda cool just to watch them swim really...
- a safe starting area to test the water, awesome pun totally intended
- a new enemy that lunges at you from below ;) no sounds for this one yet, but it'll come... oh yes, it'll come.

Controls
Move mouse left + right to flick your fishy tail and swim (or if you're beached, flop forwards).
Move the mouse faster to move faster.
WASD to control turning.
To turn in tight circles, move the mouse gently and use WASD.
R to reset if you get stuck.

Info
You are the fish, being fished. You are trying to survive in a deep ocean, where vision is limited and food is scarce, hardly distinguishable from bat, and often attracting bigger fish. Every time you eat, you'll be risking your life. What dangers lurk unseen, unknown in the darkness, laying in wait?
nesis

Postby nesis » Tue May 21, 2013 4:59 pm

Whoops, thought I wrote this in the above post... Thanks for the feedback, guys! It's really heartening to see anyone taking an interest in my pottering about :D
nesis

Postby @mr_ianthompson » Wed May 22, 2013 1:55 pm

Fantastic progress. I enjoy the control system greatly, that whale keeps bullying me however.

Keep it up !
Follow me on Twitter - https://twitter.com/mr_ianthompson
@mr_ianthompson

Postby nesis » Wed May 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks for the compliment and taking the time to check it out! :D

I've gotta agree about the whale, that thing has scared me a good few times by coming ou of the darkness and suddenly making a noise DX Jump scare much? lol
nesis

PreviousNext

Return to Games