Spectrum, the super-fish. Also I canned my rpg.

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

Spectrum, the super-fish. Also I canned my rpg.

Postby LionelJitro » Mon May 06, 2013 2:11 am

Hi,

I've never considered making a fishing game so this seems like an interesting opportunity.

I definitely want to attempt a RPG.

It will be very simple at the start, one location, a few different rods etc. The idea is to catch and collect fish which you can then breed etc. There will then be some sort of competition, maybe racing or fighting. Hopefully it isn't a complete rip off of pokemon.

If I manage to get all that done before the end of the seven days then I'll probably add new locations, boat travel and who knows what else, but that all seems unlikely.

Should be fun.
Last edited by LionelJitro on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
LionelJitro

Re: Rod of Eternity (tbc)

Postby andallas » Mon May 06, 2013 7:18 pm

I was totally thinking of doing a Pokemon'ish fishing game. I think I'll mix it up a bit, and do one that's sort of like Monster Rancher http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Rancher_(video_game). I hope it's not too similar to what you were thinking. Either way good luck and I can't wait to start!
andallas

Postby @jbu3 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:05 am

Fish racing definitely sounds like fun, but I'll be interested in seeing whatever yours turns into. Good luck!
@jbu3

Postby LionelJitro » Tue May 07, 2013 3:22 am

andallas wrote:I was totally thinking of doing a Pokemon'ish fishing game. I think I'll mix it up a bit, and do one that's sort of like Monster Rancher http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Rancher_(video_game). I hope it's not too similar to what you were thinking. Either way good luck and I can't wait to start!

Haha,nice.

You should make whatever you feel like, if we end up making the exact same game that would be amazing, and crazy. We'll definitely put different spins on it. Good luck to you too, I'm pretty excited as well.

@jbu3 wrote:Fish racing definitely sounds like fun, but I'll be interested in seeing whatever yours turns into. Good luck!

Thanks =) Yeah, I think I'll go the non-violent route. A.I. would be pretty easy to implement as well. Should be a good jam.
LionelJitro

Postby LionelJitro » Thu May 09, 2013 7:20 am

Obviously being an RPG I need a choice of playable characters, I'll probably just do two, one of each gender.

I don't want to make anything that will be used in the game before the time starts, so I decided some sort of concept art is the next best thing.
I've never actually made concept art for a game so I guess this is a first ;)

Introducing the playable characters boasting the hippest yellow fishing attire.

LionelJitro

Day 1

Postby LionelJitro » Wed May 22, 2013 9:17 pm

Okay, so Wednesday was my first day.

I had no time Monday and Ludum Dare results came out Tuesday which killed all motivation for me.

It was my first jam and all but I'm silly, anyway I slapped myself and began work yesterday.

So yesterday I had this goal list:

1.Make place holder graphics in 15 mins or so
    2.Make a 4 tile, tile-set place holder ground, water, building and door.
    3.Make walking + collisions work
    4.Make conversations work, I'm thinking I'll try to implement some sort of json thing where I can just feed in scripts
    5.If I have time make the fishing system

I finished 1-3 and started on 4. Here is a progress pic:

I feel like maybe I should have just used rpg maker ;) Nothing so far has been technically interesting.

So for day two I'm just going to finish 4 and 5.

Then I need:

Fish storage system
Fish racing system
Persistence

I'll spend at least one day on graphics, a day on music and sound, then the rest will be making the actual content and coding what needs to be done.

I'll make a menu at some point as well.

I'm off to a slow start, but I've started.
LionelJitro

Day 2

Postby LionelJitro » Thu May 23, 2013 10:57 pm

Well I did very little in day2...

I rewrote most of what I did on day 1 so that I could load scenes more efficiently with less coupling.

I finished my json scripting system and made an editor with javascript/html for some reason.

It outputs json scripts like the following which the game reads. I'm sure there is a better way to do it but whatever ;)

Code: Select all
{
  "script":
  [
    {
      "action":"conversation",
      "transmission":"manual",
      "lines":
      [
        {"main":"Nice day, no?"},
        {"ShopKeep":"It's pissing with rain and you're not buying anything."},
        {"main":"Hmm."}
      ]
    },
    {
      "action":"walk",
      "transmission":"auto",
      "actor":"ShopKeep",
      "movement":
      [
        {"right":3},
        {"up":1}
      ]
    }
  ]
}

I also designed (on paper) the fishing system and how it works with the player's stats and items. I plan to work on that later today.

Hopefully I'm not too hungover Saturday morning and I get a heap done. Nothing interesting I can take a screen shot of yet.
LionelJitro

Re: Spectrum, the super-fish. Also I canned my rpg.

Postby LionelJitro » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:44 am

5 Days down

My days are very spread out. Which is rather nice in some regards. I like how a fishing jam really mimics the essence of fishing. Then sun settles on your back, the time unknowingly escapes, the sounds of water movements calm you completely.

I KILLED MY RPG IN THE FACE!

It just wasn't working. I've been updating my blog if you are interested in what progress I made and the reason why I killed it. http://www.lioneljitro.com.

Anyway meet Spectrum the engineering masterpiece, a super-fish that runs on rainbows.

I drew him for my rpg and he is now the main character for my really simple game which I'm now making, I've written about it on my blog so I won't repeat it here. I'm still sticking to the seven days. Stay tuned. Or don't.
LionelJitro

Re: Spectrum, the super-fish. Also I canned my rpg.

Postby LionelJitro » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:57 am

Well I've spent seven days doing the fishing Jam. I have a game I could release, technically two, but I wont. I will release Spectrum eventually though. I'm just going to post some pictures, I like pictures.

Day 6: Game play
In game shot. Bouncing, rotation and collisions all work. No victory condition. I could make an arbitary score system.

Day 7: Spectrum Face Lift

Big picture, goes of the side of the screen if you have a small monitor.

Day 8+

Here I was just playing around with bubbles and sand getting stirred up if you bounce on the ground.

I might get something out by the 9th, but I'm away over the weekend so probably not.

I'll keep posting updates on my blog http://www.lioneljitro.com if you're interested. I might post on twitter as well, although I don't use it too much yet https://twitter.com/lioneljitro
LionelJitro

Return to Games