Leviathan

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

Leviathan

Postby vramesh » Sat May 18, 2013 6:45 am

Am I starting early? Yup, mostly because I have no idea how to make my crazy idea work - I've literally never made a multi-player game before. Hopefully I'll be able to use the next week to create a code base and figure out what I'm doing. I don't want to reveal too much about the mechanics/design, since my plan might change completely based off how things go.

The screen shot above uses Ogre3D with the Hydrax and SkyX libraries to achieve those awesome effects.
vramesh

Re: Leviathan

Postby vramesh » Sun May 19, 2013 2:48 am

Sockets!
vramesh

Postby LionelJitro » Sun May 19, 2013 2:49 am

Yes, you've got communication!

I've never attempted a non-local multi-player game. Good luck with it!
LionelJitro

Postby vramesh » Mon May 20, 2013 5:26 am

Success! I was able to figure out how to write the most basic netcode, and get four to five divers surfing around on LAN. I think this is a pretty good base to start on - once the Jam officially starts, I'll work on the actual game-play.

Technical details: The client side communications are implemented using SFML's socket library. The server, on the other had, is written in python using Twisted. Each client opens up a TCP and UDP channel - a randomly generated id associates the two channels together. This is also the id that's displayed above each divers head.
vramesh

Postby vramesh » Sat May 25, 2013 5:43 pm

So, I am just now have the chance to pick up where I left off. I'm realizing now that my idea is way beyond the scope of the Jam, so it will probably be a project that I continue to work on for months. Right now, I've finished adding in custom terrain (using geometry clip-maps) and am adding mobs that the server can spawn into the world.

Terrain:

Underwater:
vramesh

Postby vramesh » Sun May 26, 2013 1:51 am

This is probably as far as I can go for this jam - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVBimJgNoCo

As a learning experience, it was pretty successful - I'm confident that I can successfully create multiplayer games. What of created so far will also serve as a pretty cool prototype that I can expand into a full game later.
vramesh

Return to Games