Fisher Bot T.A.R.A. [complete]

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

Re: Fisher Bot T.A.R.A. [complete]

Postby Igmon » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:50 am

7-day post-mortem will be available after I take a break. development info, etc., etc. :)
Igmon

Re: Fisher Bot T.A.R.A. [complete]

Postby Igmon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:10 am

It's been a couple weeks now, so I figure I can put something here, I hope no one's reading. It's my favorite pass-time to just write whatever that just pops out of my head when no one's looking. Yeah I could have just as easily wrote this on a piece of paper, but I'm already typing so I can't, really.

I was watching my little cousin play this the other day and it seemed as if the most fun part was just scaring fishes away. Sadly, T.A.R.A.'s battery is set to drain as time passes...nothing else mattered in the game to her. My take-away on this is no matter how intricate you make your game...at the end of the day, the world you create and the colors far out-weights whatever genius gameplay you come up with. Guys like Jonathan Blow might disagree, but to tell you the truth, if his game's art wasn't as interesting as it could have been, it would have never gotten as much praise as it could have. Well, good PR is important too, but whatever. Well alright, making the controls feel nice is important too.

I'm just happy I made someone be remotely interested in playing this game. Let alone a kid, they're the most challenging to coax to do anything. Kids don't take any B.S., they can smell it a mile away.

I made this game for several reasons:

1) I got really fed-up working in the game industry. Sure, someone can say, "Your day-job is what keeps you afloat and you should really just try to make games on the side." Buddy, not when your day job IS game development. I can't complain though, some are tasked to clean the sewers. So I made this game because I want to remember what it was like making a game, that time I used to enjoy. Not this bottom-line materialistic view of producing consumer goods. Not every game company sucks mind you, that is an important thing to point out. If you're lucky, you'll be in good company. I wasn't lucky, every company I've been to dies after a couple years, or just a year. The best I've been to had great folks, but sadly, yet again, the bottom-line tore us apart.

So yeah, that is reason 1. When you have made games prior to being employed in the game industry, it's very hard to be enthusiastic in certain companies. Most companies that just come along for the ride, they will fail, sooner or later. No different in the indie scene.

2) I need to know where I am at in terms of being able to make a game on my own. Just my way of surveying this 'Indie' game development scene.

Interesting folks, but I find it hard to agree with many arguments that often spills in the community. Mostly because I really don't care. To be honest, I really don't care, and for now I'm just focusing on building up this repertoire of game making. But I will say this, twitter is pretty useful sometimes. From twitter, I am able to discover resources, web portals, and game-jams that I would have otherwise missed. Even from other sites. Twitter is quite handy.

3) This was an excuse for me to paint/illustrate something and actually bring it to life in a game. There was a time when I just didn't want to have anything to do with game development. So during my time in the game industry, I would experiment with different art mediums. It's liberating sometimes when you create something that is not meant to be part of a bigger picture. Papercraft, the clay that hardens when you bake it, etc.

4) I wanted to make a game from childhood back when I used to think games are made by voodoo magic. For this challenge, it is Worms Armageddon's ninja rope. That was one of the things I thought I would never be able to recreate, that and the whole pixel-perfect collision (that's still something I will look into one day).

5) Not much else, I just need 5 to be here. Maybe for high-fives? Look at other people's game? I've been too busy though. I saw a couple games, that recreation of fishing in San Francisco is my favorite. My break was getting something new to try with Unity. Unity doesn't have a nice built-in animation tool. It sucks balls and no wonder there's so many of them up there in the Unity marketplace. I couldn't find one that is suitable for what I will use, so I took the time to fix someone's abandoned baby and turned it into a monsterfully useful tool. Yeah, and I'm really digging the post-screen effects I've been toying with.

6) Oh, let's make it up to seven just to go with the theme. I think this is true: making a game is easy. Making people pay attention to the game is another ballgame. When I see a game that is made of MS-paint I sometimes wonder about this. Is it really the experience of the game that got it so much attention? Or is it really because it makes an interesting story because it involves controversy behind the developer. Or is it that people sympathized with the experience they observed in the game. I guess games are also art in this objective sense. Because crappy art like Andy Warhol's is the same kind of buzz people relish on in the art industry.

7) Because 7 is just a number. It just is.

I guess I wrote a bit there, kinda just throwing my brain at the monitor and see what atrocities it will come up. They say it's therapeutic. That's my developer diary of sorts. T.A.R.A.'s development will continue (after this other game jam somewhere else), I really like the little robot. She's full of energy and doesn't really care about all the useless things we concern ourselves so much about. All she wants to do is get those fishes out there. Like a little bee nobody really notice, but actually helps the ecosystem. Hey just like what I mentioned about cleaning the sewers as a job! Maybe that's why I am compelled to finish making this game. One thing for sure, there will be a flying teapot in the sky and a sea cow. Everything else is spontaneous.
Igmon

Previous

Return to Games