Play the game here: http://16x16.org/escape_wip/runtime/index.html
I decided to join in. A bit late, I know but... I've sprained my ankle in a rather nasty way when running through woods so I'll be tied to a chair for a week or two. I'd like to finish somewhat ambitious prototype until the jam submission deadline. We'll see how it goes. It will probably take a bit more than 7 days.
Below is a pseudo-design-document draft, for what it's worth.
Visual mockups coming next.Escape from the fishing community islandDisclaimer
This will be mechanics prototype strictly. Because of the time constraints it will be pure 2d. All visuals are symbolic placeholders. No animations. Most of the stuff will be represented by plain circles. Fishing-like mechanics I'm trying to explore here could function well in other narrative contexts but I nevertheless kept some kind of "fish story" to it.Tech
Will be tested only in Firefox - first version probably won't work properly in other browsersStory
You and your spouse were visiting an old fishing village on a small, remote island. As the night fell the first day, something strange happened. Masses of all kinds of demonic fish started rising from the sea, floating through the air, brutally attacking every living thing on sight. As if they're seeking a revenge for the centuries of exploitation of their kin by "the evil humans". Most of the villagers who owned fishing boats managed to escape in panic. Your spouse disappeared.
Find the spouse and get off the island asap. As you grab some fishing hooks and a harpoon to defend yourself, you hope there is a functioning motorboat left somewhere along the coast...Gameplay
2d top-down view.
Action. Mostly tactical combat with fishing-inspired mechanics. Main conceptual idea for combat mechanics is indirection which is one of the key characteristics of fishing.
Search and exploration.
Some role playing elements. Objective
Player can beat the game in two ways:
1) Kill all the demonic fish (good luck with that)
2) Find the spouse, boat keys and a fuel jerrycan in the village, locate the boat along the coast and escape.Player character
Walks in 8 directions. Uses 3 kinds of weapons (harpoon, net, hooks). Health bar. Searches houses.
Player has several stats that affect weapon handling. On the game start the character is customized by assigning points to different stats. Stats can be additionally improved during the game when fishing equipment is found.The Island
Island is a big flat shape filled with scattered houses. For each game the shape of the island is randomized, as well ad the house arrangement.Houses
Houses are filled with furniture (represented by ?-marked boxes). Player must search them to find the spouse, key items, villagers, upgrades and other stuff.Minimap
Map that gradually reveals discovered areas of the island. Fully searched houses are marked distinctively vs. non-searched ones so the player knows what to explore next.Demonic fish
Fish vary in size(radius,strength), movement speed and aggressiveness. Each of those parameters is a continuum from small to big. Fishes are generated using standard Gaussian distribution. So small/weak are more common than big/nasty.
- cruising velocity
- engage velocity
- engage/disengage radiusBoss fish(optional)
Fast big fish. Appears from time to time. Hard to kill.Spouse
Player's spouse is hiding somewhere in the village. Finding him/her is one of the key objectives. When found, the spouse will follow player. Has "health" property and can die.Villagers
Villagers who didn't manage to escape hid in houses. Player can stumble upon them when searching. They will follow player. Player can use them as a bait or sacrifice them to get out of tricky situations. Player can "detach" a villager by instructing him to "wait here". A villager has two properties: "health" and "calm". "Calm" is depleted by fish proximity (only on villagers that are detached). When "calm" reaches zero, detached villager will flee in panic back to player, potentially dying if the player is far away.
Optionally: differentiate villagers: male, female, child.
Optionally: Having a villager can boost weapon handling stats. When villager is lost, boost is lost too.Weapons (description a bit confuddled, need to test stuff as I go)
You use fishing equipment you find in the village as your weapons. Weapons differ in tactical possibilities. You configure your character to use a combination of 2 of 3 possible weapons. Weapons can be improved/upgraded/repaired along the way by searching houses for more fishing equipment. Player starts with customizing weapon configuration/strength in the character creation screen. This is done by assigning a limited set of points to weapon parameters. So for example you can have a strong harpoon and a weak net, or balanced harpoon and net...Harpoon
- When fish is hit with the harpoon it starts running away from the player, dragging her with it. The bigger the fish the longer it takes to tire it. This increases risks as the player's control is somewhat reduced during dragging, making her easier target for other fish.
- Range - length of the harpoon cord and successful shot distance
- Strength - damage rate
- It can be thrown and dragged around. Fish get caught in it. It's represented by a bunch of circles. Each circle can catch only fishes smaller than it. If the bigger fish pass through it it will tear it. Torn parts of the net do not catch fish. You can repair the net by finding fishing equipment in houses. Fish that damaged the net can be slowed down a bit (maybe), so player can sacrifice net to escape. You dragging the net slows the player down.
- Area - total net area
- Strength - size of one net circle. The bigger it is the bigger fish can be caught in it.Hooks
- A number of hooks can be thrown. When a demonic fish passes over it it will "bite". Bigger fish need to bite several times until caught. Hooks are deployed/retracted similarly to net. While net is better for catching a lot small fishes, hooks are more effective in targeting one big fish.
Items can be obtained by searching furniture/stuff inside houses. Searching each thing takes some small amount of time. Search time varies slightly. When searching of an object is complete it disappears from the world and you get whatever you found there. To search the object, you must be in its proximity and hold the mouse button ("Searching..." progress bar).
Items that can be found:
- Fishing equipment - boosts weapon stats or repairs broken stuff.
- Alcoholic beverage -
- Food/first aid -
- Villagers in hiding - Essential items
- Boat keys
- Fuel canister
Finding those two items and then getting to the boat is the objective of the game. Items are somewhere in the village. Player needs to search houses to find them.Unique items (optional)
- Army boots - if you find them, you'll move slightly faster for the rest of the game.
- Shotgun + 5 shells. It will instantly kill a target of any size. Only 5 (or so) shots in the whole game
- Fishing dynamite