Super Strike Flying Fish Liberation 2 Turbo HD Remix

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

Super Strike Flying Fish Liberation 2 Turbo HD Remix

Postby AnomalousUnderdog » Tue May 21, 2013 9:30 pm

You are a fish dashing for you freedom. Nothing will stop you. Not fishing hooks, or fishing nets, or yachts, or dolphins. Nothing. Not even cruise liners. Or battlecruisers. Or nuclear subs. Or alien invasions.

Basically it's an endless runner as a fish. But you're a flying fish so you can use your amazing gliding/flying ability to glide to the air and dive back down to smash through obstacles, or shake away fishing rods that have ensnared you. The higher you fly, the more powerful the dive.

Note: There is no name for this game yet. Suggestions are welcome.

Playable build here: http://goo.gl/eJVgv
Last edited by AnomalousUnderdog on Mon May 27, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AnomalousUnderdog

Re: My Fishing Jam entry

Postby AnomalousUnderdog » Tue May 21, 2013 9:33 pm

My day 1 was spent creating the base code for the endless runner type of game (I'll probably use it as a template for other endless runners).

Day 2 was for this:

I can only work on this during the night because of my day job and it's quite hectic there right now.
AnomalousUnderdog

Postby AnomalousUnderdog » Wed May 22, 2013 6:47 pm

End of day 3. I got the camera moving smoothly which was surprisingly bit of a pain to get right.

Work-in-progress build here: http://goo.gl/eJVgv
Last edited by AnomalousUnderdog on Sat May 25, 2013 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
AnomalousUnderdog

Postby AnomalousUnderdog » Thu May 23, 2013 9:50 pm

End of day 4. I got the buoyancy just the way I want it.

I'm actually having ideas of another type of game: "Air fishing". Where you are a fisherman fishing for air behemoths. Think of the dwelling places of the air monks in Avatar the last airbender, with a bit of post apocalyptic mixed in.

Your lure is actually a giant snake dragon, which is more like a trusty sidekick than something you sacrifice, and you fish for equally large flying animals. I want to kind of give it a Shadow of the Colossus feel, so I don't think the development would fit the scope of a 7-day, do-it-on-your-freetime, kind of jam.

I'm not actually sure how the game mechanic would work in such a game. I'm imagining you're controlling your snake dragon using the rod, and that it would make some difference in controlling your large monster than a typical WASD setup.
Last edited by AnomalousUnderdog on Sat May 25, 2013 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnomalousUnderdog

Postby AnomalousUnderdog » Fri May 24, 2013 9:25 am

Some concept on fishermen I did earlier.
AnomalousUnderdog

Postby AnomalousUnderdog » Fri May 24, 2013 6:22 pm

The test fisherman-and-his-fishing-pole-stuck-with-the-fish working nicely. Test build here.
Last edited by AnomalousUnderdog on Sat May 25, 2013 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnomalousUnderdog

Postby AnomalousUnderdog » Sat May 25, 2013 2:28 am

Got the test fisherman sprite working. I also got a procedural rope mesh in there. It spazes out if the fish is moving too fast though. Not sure about it. I need to read up on ConfigurableJoint for this.

UPDATE: Finally got it fixed. Just needed to set ConfigurableJoint.projectionMode to ProjectionMode.PositionOnly

Playable build: http://goo.gl/eJVgv
AnomalousUnderdog

Postby AnomalousUnderdog » Sat May 25, 2013 7:34 am

Update: If you press jump long enough, your fish can now ascend into space. It helps if you listen to this while doing it.

Again, build here: http://goo.gl/eJVgv
AnomalousUnderdog

Postby FlatWorldStudios » Sat May 25, 2013 7:35 am

I laughed really hard with this game, you idea is amazing! Can't wait to see it finished!
FlatWorldStudios

Postby AnomalousUnderdog » Sat May 25, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks! Here's an update:

The fishermen now lie in wait at the sides and ensnare you with their hooks when you collide with them.

Now the idea is the longer you leave them clinging, the more the capture meter fills. When the capture meter is full, then it's game over. Also, the more fishermen clinging at you, the faster the capture meter fills.

So the idea is to fly high then dive hard, crash on the water surface to shrug them away.

Right now it's very easy to fly and dive, but I'm going to add some challenge to it, most likely changing the controls a bit. That was really the plan though; the jump controls right now is a placeholder so I could get the buoyancy just right.

Some random thoughts:
* Bullet time ability?
* Dolphin enemy, pretty much the same as the fisherman, just different graphics. Instead of a fishing pole, it swallows you, but you'll still be swimming while you're in its stomach. Instead of a capture meter you have a digestion meter but pretty much the same thing.
* One boss is a navy blockade, wherein you need to fly high beforehand and crash as powerful as you can, and make sure to land right at the blockade to destroy it, freeing your fellow fishies. Bullet time ability will probably be useful here. (Will probably need a mini-map)
AnomalousUnderdog

Next

Return to Games