[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
7-Day Fishing Game Jam • View topic - The Sea [FINISHED!]

The Sea [FINISHED!]

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

The Sea [FINISHED!]

Postby Alamantus » Mon May 06, 2013 5:23 pm

Last edited by Alamantus on Thu May 30, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Current Project:

Visit our for progress updates and game development advice
Follow on Twitter or on Tumblr for all the latest news
Alamantus

Re: The Sea

Postby Trideka » Mon May 06, 2013 6:00 pm

Hehe "swimming around".

I like this one! A good message!
Trideka

Postby jspapp » Mon May 06, 2013 11:29 pm

This is a really cool idea, love the abstraction!
jspapp

Postby @jbu3 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:06 am

I'm always on board for seeing a game that takes a more eco-friendly message. Good luck!
@jbu3

Postby Jon Aanes » Tue May 07, 2013 12:16 pm

I like the idea.

How are you going to do it, though?
I am interested.

Good luck.
Jon Aanes

Postby Alamantus » Tue May 07, 2013 8:05 pm

Current Project:

Alamantus

Postby Alamantus » Sun May 12, 2013 5:02 am

Testing out some graphics. In this image, I'm testing out trailing water ripples... I'm probably stopping here as far as preparation goes until the jam actually starts, though.
I'm just so excited! :D
Current Project:

Alamantus

Postby LionelJitro » Sun May 12, 2013 10:30 pm

Looking good.

Sweet game idea. Yay for morally responsible messages in games!
LionelJitro

Postby Alamantus » Mon May 20, 2013 12:22 am

Holy smokes, it's so close! It's practically already here! :o

I've been making some art assets for The Sea today in preparation for tomorrow! I just finished making the fishing boats, which you'll spend your time defending your precious fish against, and I've refined Sea (the main character/personification of the ocean)'s sprites. There are 8 different kinds of boats that you'll need to defend against. Mwahahaha :twisted:

I have almost everything worked out in my head. You'll jet around on the ocean trying to protect big areas of fish from the fishing boats. You protect them by either discouraging (with storms and ghost ships) or destroying (with waves and whirlpools) the boats. But the boats are just a symptom of the bigger problem. To truly remove the threat and take back the planet in the name of the ocean, you must destroy the source of the boats: the islands. There are many varying sizes of island, and you must grow larger to destroy larger islands.
You will have a couple of different meters on either side of the screen - one that shows the ocean's water level and one that shows the fish population. You'll also be able to hold a key (shift or ctrl) to open a mini-map that will let you fast travel to areas of the ocean. Using the fast travel creates whirlpools that can also help destroy fishing boats, but since you have a mini-map in your way, aiming can be a little bit difficult.

I'm really looking forward to what I'll be able to make of this game! I'm already thinking it's going to be better than I initially thought it was going to be, so that's good! Yay optimism! :D

Unfortunately, my wife has bronchitis at the moment, so I'm hoping that 1) I'll be able to find time to build the game whilst caring for her and doing my day job, and 2) that I don't catch bronchitis and become unable to finish the jam. Fingers crossed! :)
Current Project:

Alamantus

Postby Alamantus » Wed May 22, 2013 2:48 am

Well, no work done today, but hopefully tomorrow I'll post some screenshots of my work so far.

Still trying to figure out how to make boat A.I. work but not be super genius fish sensors that go directly to the fish...

I also need to add some more art to the game to make it look prettier. I've added some random ocean waves that are a nice touch but may or may not severely lag the game, as they occur a couple times per second... Hopefully I'll be able to remedy that. I'm also hoping that the ocean isn't too big for ordinary computers to handle. Right now I've got a 100,000 x 100,000 px ocean where everything happens and if the waves alone are making my computer lag out, I'm really hoping having 10-20+ boats all fishing at the same time plus movement and other effects isn't too much to handle. :S
Current Project:

Alamantus

Next

Return to Games