Fishing Jam rules/introduction!

Announcements, how to submit, blah blah blah!

Fishing Jam rules/introduction!

Postby SophieH » Sun May 05, 2013 1:41 pm

Heya! welcome to the fishing jam forum, here are the basics:

• Make a game about or inspired by Fishing, in a week!
  • Jam dates are 20th-27th, you can pick whatever 7 days you like *around* this time. There's no pressure to do it in exactly that amount of time unless you want to :)
  • If you say it's a game then it's a game, if you say it relates to fishing then it relates to fishing.
  • Use whatever tools/techniques you want to make your game.
  • You need to make a thread for your game in the games forum. Updating it through the week is your choice, but it's more fun if you do! :)
  • Feel free to start your thread whenever you like, if you want to share your idea that's cool!
  • When your game is done, make a post about it in your thread, and link to that post in the submission thread.
  • Don't be a jerk on the forum, I'll kick your ass. This is a friendly fishing jam :)

Now then, if this is your first time to fishing jam club; you have to make a fishing game! here are some links to get you started! even beginners can make their first game in a week!
http://youcanmakevideogames.com/
http://kotaku.com/5979539/a-beginners-g ... video-game
http://makegames.pixelprospector.com/getting-started
http://makegames.pixelprospector.com/

if you have any questions or whatever; ask them in this thread :)

[update] We have an IRC channel thanks to @jspapp_! - It's #FishingJam at chat.freenode.net
SophieH
Site Admin

Re: Fishing Jam rules/introduction!

Postby LionelJitro » Mon May 06, 2013 12:07 am

Haha, this is amazing.

I've never made a fishing game before, and I doubt I'd ever consider it otherwise.

Ludum dare definitely got me in the mood to do some game jams.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to build a RPG. Catching, breeding and some sort of competition; racing or automated battles probably.

I loved dream fishing by the way. Is that what inspired this?
LionelJitro

Postby retrostark » Mon May 06, 2013 12:42 am

Is this the first Fishing Jam? and you have a spelling error in the post.

Then*
retrostark

Postby SophieH » Mon May 06, 2013 2:22 pm

LionelJitro wrote:I loved dream fishing by the way. Is that what inspired this?

nope, was planning the jam since a little before ludum dare, made dream fishing anyway because... well, why not? :D

retrostark wrote:Is this the first Fishing Jam? and you have a spelling error in the post.

Thanks, fixed the typo! and yes, this is the first fishing jam :)
SophieH
Site Admin

Postby Alamantus » Mon May 06, 2013 5:18 pm

Question:

Is preparing material (art, sounds, engine, etc.) before the official jam time considered cheating? Or is that allowed?
Current Project: Life, Afterlife

Visit our Devlog for progress updates and game development advice
Follow @AlamantusGames on Twitter or AlamantusGameDev on Tumblr for all the latest news
Alamantus

Postby SophieH » Mon May 06, 2013 7:39 pm

There's no such thing as cheating! seriously, do as you please and make the jam as challenging (or not) as you want it to be! :)
SophieH
Site Admin

Postby Nekoyoubi » Tue May 07, 2013 1:53 pm

Sophie, serious awesomosity. I've been waiting for the perfect excuse to make my "RPG Fishing." I have some mild graphic assets already, but that's apparently not an issue. I haven't been too excited to get into it over other projects/protos, but but now all of the sudden I can't wait! ;p
- Lance @ Nekoyoubi Games
Nekoyoubi

Postby icetooth » Tue May 07, 2013 9:48 pm

Should I bother submitting a Linux or maybe OSX game, or would that be a waste of 7 days? i don't have multiple platform support in my engine yet, but an OSX build might not be impossible in the time frame.
icetooth

Postby SophieH » Wed May 08, 2013 1:58 pm

icetooth wrote:Should I bother submitting a Linux or maybe OSX game, or would that be a waste of 7 days?

my advice is do as you please, you don't *have* to target any particular platform for the jam. and besides, I'm sure it would be more fun to spend the week focussing on the game itself, porting can always be done later :)
SophieH
Site Admin

Postby Lowren » Wed May 08, 2013 6:50 pm

I love the idea! Never made a fishing game before, so why not?

I did the global game jam, since 3 years now. The pressure and the time limit is very stressful, I think the fishing jam is way more relaxing and I like it :)
http://www.lowren.net Trying to make a living with HTML5 mobile web. Visit my website to follow my experience.
Lowren

Next

Return to Announcements/Notices