[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
7-Day Fishing Game Jam • View topic - lake! [FINISHED]

lake! [FINISHED]

This is where the games and development logs go! :D

lake! [FINISHED]

Postby Skoshuke » Thu May 23, 2013 7:39 pm

Game is Finished!

Here's a link to the web version:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/772 ... lake!.html

Here's a read me with instructions:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/772 ... ething.txt

Skoshuke

I thought I'd finally get to learning some Unity(on pro trial) and Blender stuff, and what better time than with a game jam!
I'm posting this on thursday having worked on it for a few days already, so here's what I've done in the days so far.

-----
Monday
-----
Spent time figuring out what it was I was going to be doing for the jam.
I figured learning the tools would cut a huge chunk out of my available time, so I shot down some more 'gamey' ideas.
Decided on doing a small exploration game.
Settled on a low-poly, brightly-coloured flat-shaded art style .
Settled on the player being a fisher in a boat, moving about within a pond. Player can lower their rod and move their lure up and down.
Started making some base geometry in Blender and implementing it in Unity.

-----
Tuesday
-----
Couldn't do much today, had an exam tomorrow aaaaah!
Made some clouds, and a stand-in character model. Added Bloom. Damn bloom is so cool.
Posted a screenshot of the work done so far on twitter:

-----
Wednesday
-----
Exam over, back to work!
Made a boat for the player to sit in, and implemented controls for it (they need to be re-worked, but i figured I'd worry about that another time)
Made a rod and implemented some basic casting (that took a lot of figuring out and trial and error. It's probably implemented really poorly, but I don't care!).
Posted a vine of the work done so far:
https://vine.co/v/b9EBIWIBKdK
Last edited by Skoshuke on Sun May 26, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Skoshuke

Re: lake!

Postby Skoshuke » Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

Update!
-----
Thursday
-----
Finished up the hills for the environment. These form an octagon around the lake. Player is restricted by them.
Made a couple of fish models.
Implemented some basic fish behaviour(they swim until they collide with something, and then turn around)
Posted a vine of progress:
https://t.co/EFvAzU3Atm
Skoshuke

Postby Skoshuke » Sun May 26, 2013 6:33 pm

Update!

-----
Friday
----
Created a new character model(no animations yet)
Implemented catching and releasing fish. Now the game is officially a fishing game, WOOO!
Posted a vine of progress:
https://vine.co/v/bVqPjlhiKO0

-----
Saturday
-----
No new features added, mostly fixing minor issues with the game.
Skoshuke

Postby SuperMoof » Sun May 26, 2013 6:35 pm

Looks very cool, the style is great and the water looks really neat.
@supermoof
SuperMoof

Postby Skoshuke » Sun May 26, 2013 9:33 pm

Update!
-----
Sunday
-----
Final day today! So close and yet so... well, close.
Remember how the character was bald? Well, I put some hair on the head!
Added some trees because the environment was a little too empty.
Went looking for a cool song to play in the background, and a nice sound for the water.
Posted a vine:
https://t.co/ixHxJX1KP4
Some minor tweeks for the layout of the environment.
Final screenshot:

Is that everything? I think that's everything. OK, that's it, I'm done!
Here's a link for you to check it out:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/772 ... lake!.html

Oh, and here's a read me with instructions:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/772 ... ething.txt
Skoshuke

Re: lake! [FINISHED]

Postby Kookoriko » Sun May 26, 2013 10:09 pm

I like this game. And I am very impressed with what can be done with Unity in one week.

Congratulations!

Eh.. Just a small doubt... Did you use Unity before? I am new to game development, and I would like to move to a 3D engine, as I am using a 2D java engine. And Unity seems very hard to learn...

Thanks for your answer!
Visit my new blog: Videogames by beginners
My twitter account; @Korosanai
Kookoriko

Postby Skoshuke » Mon May 27, 2013 9:38 pm

Skoshuke

Postby TrickFishPie » Mon May 27, 2013 10:49 pm

REALLY like what you did with the reel down/up with the mouse wheel :)

Good work - like how that water looks, really makes me want to take the jump up to Unity Pro
TrickFishPie

Postby this » Tue May 28, 2013 12:27 pm

Nice, I really like the environment and the atmosphere.
If this is your first Unity game, it is great.
I didn't like the rod lowering mechanism, and the fish I caught were suspended upside down..
this

Postby Edocentrique » Tue May 28, 2013 1:27 pm

Good job, good mood, very relaxing (and a bit frustrating when fishes run away !)
Edocentrique

Next

Return to Games